Notices

wont start after 45 mins

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2006, 12:16 AM
fire head
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start after 45 mins

i have a 95 uk spec 2000 turbo and if i drive it untill its hot then leave it for 45 mins and try to start it, it just turns over and dont fire but it stinks of fuel. then once left for another hour or so it fires up no problem.
can any one help
Old 23 August 2006, 12:31 AM
DShox
Scooby Regular

thats well odd! if your smelling fuel tho thats a worry - is your driveway showing marks of a leak. check under your car for moisture around the fuel tank.

if you fill the car to full at a petrol station - check whether you lose fuel to a certain point (ie you may have a leak 3/4 way up the tank).

as for the failure to start - i suspect that its unconnected to the fuel smell. i almost think the ecu is refusing to start cos it hasnt cooled enough...maybe thats a hint.
Old 23 August 2006, 07:51 AM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Wink Rings a bell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by fire head
i have a 95 uk spec 2000 turbo and if i drive it untill its hot then leave it for 45 mins and try to start it, it just turns over and dont fire but it stinks of fuel. then once left for another hour or so it fires up no problem.
can any one help
Crank sensor

Kev
Old 23 August 2006, 08:51 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DShox
thats well odd! if your smelling fuel tho thats a worry - is your driveway showing marks of a leak. check under your car for moisture around the fuel tank.

if you fill the car to full at a petrol station - check whether you lose fuel to a certain point (ie you may have a leak 3/4 way up the tank).

as for the failure to start - i suspect that its unconnected to the fuel smell. i almost think the ecu is refusing to start cos it hasnt cooled enough...maybe thats a hint.
Smelling fuel when a car doesnt start isnt odd. It usually means that there isnt a spark being produced to ignite the fuel/air mixture present in the engine. More commonly known as flooding.

Like Kev says it does sound like a crank/cam sensor problem or a temp sensor (sending a signal to the ecu that the engine is cold therefore injecting more fuel which floods the engine)

As Vessy says below check for error codes.

Last edited by jaytc2003; 23 August 2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 23 August 2006, 01:53 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Check CEL codes, I thought if Cam/Crank sensor were faulty no fuel was added as the injectors don't fire?

I had one with a bad crank sensor that was stopping the car restarting when warm and never had any fuel smell, however i did have the same problem as you and it was an injector leaking.
Old 23 August 2006, 02:36 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

you probly right i would say the temp sensor on the water rail happend to mine but the other way round
Old 23 August 2006, 08:29 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Crank sensor, mine failed recently, same scenario as yours, try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug on the crank sensor and see if starts then.
Old 08 September 2006, 10:49 PM
fire head
Scooby Newbie

Default no start when hot

hi people thanks for the replies,
i have since tryed a second hand crankshaft sensor but did not cure it and there is no fuel under the car. i,m going to try and have it code read but does where is the coolant temp sensor and could this be a ignition module problem
Old 09 September 2006, 08:51 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fire head
hi people thanks for the replies,
i have since tryed a second hand crankshaft sensor but did not cure it and there is no fuel under the car. i,m going to try and have it code read but does where is the coolant temp sensor and could this be a ignition module problem
When the fault occurs again, try disconnecting and reconnecting the 'camshaft sensor' plug and see if it will start then. Its located on the right hand cam, looking from the front of the car, very easy 30 second job to try. If it starts after, then chances are its that sensor thats foooooked. Get it code read and you will know for sure.

I had exactly the same problem as you are experiencing and was advised (via this forum) to do this disconnecting & reconnecting on both the crank & cam sensors to see if it would start afterwards. It worked on mine after doing it on the crank sensor. I got a 2nd hand one from Scoobyclinic and Kev @ SC dropped his code reader on just to double check it was that at fault before fitting it. Never had any problems since.

HTH

Mick
Old 09 September 2006, 10:10 AM
fire head
Scooby Newbie

thanks mmt, i will try today and will let you know
Old 09 September 2006, 10:18 AM
fire head
Scooby Newbie

Old 09 September 2006, 10:48 AM
fire head
Scooby Newbie

Old 09 September 2006, 01:22 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

No chance of it being crank or cam sensor. No fuel is pumped if these are faulty or disconnected. My cash is on the coolant temp sensor.
Old 09 September 2006, 01:31 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WREXY
No chance of it being crank or cam sensor. No fuel is pumped if these are faulty or disconnected. My cash is on the coolant temp sensor.
Fuel can be pumped if the cam sensor is marginal. It is probably a cam/crank sensor, as when on the verge of failing, they can operate at say 800rpm but not at 400rpm typical of starting.

My money would be on the cam sensor.

Disconnected coolant temp sensor will result in very rough running and black/blue smoke.

Paul