Notices

Can i use a in-car bleed valve with a dawes device?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 09:54 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Can i use a in-car bleed valve with a dawes device?

Hi Guys,
I have a dawes device fitted on my 96wrx import and bypassed the 3 port boost solenoid and connected the dawes up to a single pipe between the turbo nipple and actuator.
Now i was thinking would it be possible to plumb in to the same pipe a incar adjustable bleed valve so i could obviously have the luxury of turning the boost pressure down for motorway crusing etc.
Now basically the dawes device would be used as a limiter to avoid running too much boost, so i could turn the in car bleed valve up as much as i want but it would only produce the `Maximum` amount of boost the the dawes has been set at??
Am i making sense????
Would this work or has anyone else out there already tried this???
would the bleed valve have to be plumbed in before the dawes or after eg, nearer the turbo outlet or the actuator side???

any help or advice would be great.

Really don`t want people posting the usual `your right foot on the throttle is the best boost controller!!!`

Only asking this is so
1/ i can turn the boost up and down from inside the car and
2/ i can turn the boost right down before the girlfriend drives it.

Jim
Old 03 August 2006, 10:03 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO bleed valves are a f.uckin waste of money and a waste of time. If you're that worried don't let the other half drive the car.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:48 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Yes you could, but it would have to be in parallel with the Dawes. This way, with air fully bled the boost would be set at the Dawes pressure, with no air bled it would be at actuator pressure. BUT you would have to block the bleed hole for this to work.

EDIT: I am assuming a bleed valve has an IN, an OUT and a BLEED. When fully bled the OUT is blocked and all air going IN goes through the BLEED.

If this is not the case then you could fit a switchable air valve in parallel with the Dawes. With the valve closed you will have Dawes boost, when the valve is open you will have actuator boost

Last edited by Jay m A; 03 August 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03 August 2006, 11:01 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

Interesting so it could in theory work connected to the same hose as the dawes but be plumbed in before it so the bleed valve is nearer to the turbo nipple. so basically using the bleed valve as a feed for the Dawes?

Last edited by 988wrx; 03 August 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06 August 2006, 05:43 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

anyone else got any opinions??
Old 06 August 2006, 10:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by 988wrx
Interesting so it could in theory work connected to the same hose as the dawes but be plumbed in before it so the bleed valve is nearer to the turbo nipple. so basically using the bleed valve as a feed for the Dawes?
No

What you describe is in series, or in line. You need to run them parallel, as in side by side, both being fed from the turbo, both feeding the wastegate.