Powerstation 340 Vs PPP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 02:44 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerstation 340 Vs PPP upgrade

Hi
On a new MY06 2.5 Scoob Sti (Euro) - which is the better power upgrade to have done?

Both cost about the same, but the PPP upgrade doesn't harm the warranty - I assume the PS one is the same as it's just an exhaust, filter and re-map

Anyone with experience of both mods? Share your impressions and plus/minus of either or both mods
Old 22 July 2006, 09:00 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

PPP - keep warranty
340 - loose warranty

This is the biggest issue for most people.

PPP - not mapped to individual car, so does not always meet the power output Prodrive claim
340 - mapped to individual car so results would more likely be better and often meet or exceed claims
Old 22 July 2006, 09:09 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A small point to note
Some countries wont warranty a PPP as its not officially recognised by them, if you bought a UK car then you would have no problems but the likes of a car from say Malta may invalidate your warranty.
AFAIK the only country that supports the PPP is the UK as its a market only thing, so doing either of the above "may" invalidate your warranty.

Tony
Old 22 July 2006, 11:55 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm in the UK so PPP 'should' be warranty covered.
Will the PS mod affect the warranty for only the engine or does it affect the car as a whole?

How about driver feedback - what difference did people notice between the stock STi and the PPP/PS mod?

Someone out there must have had one of these and can give us feedback
Old 22 July 2006, 12:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hmmm dont think I made that clear enough
The PPP is good for UK cars, euro imports on the other hand have their warranty from the country of origin, the pan euro warranty covers for subaru in europe but there will be specifics in the warranty from x country about what can be done to the car, ie the PPP in the UK but in say cyprus they dont have a PPP so its not covered, if your car is sourced from say cyprus then you add the PPP in the uk its not warrantied so any faults wont be covered because you are outside that warranty.

Tony
Old 22 July 2006, 02:43 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I think Tony is correct here. I missed the EURO bit, but have read of PPP issues with Euro imports. PPP is a UK only mod.

I went for the non-PPP option on my UK STi. It makes the car a much more enjoyable animal with boost comming in earlier and power all the way through the rev-range.

IMHO it make it the car it should have been to begin with.
Old 23 July 2006, 12:18 AM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting
I accidentally ran into Ian Lichfield (not physically ) today on a detour to home from Castle Coombe and we had a chat about the different cars and options.

They supply a 3 year UK factory warranty on import Scoobs and personally warrant 1 year on the engine of the cars they boost to 340/350.
JDM imports get 1 year on the car so the mod is covered in the same time

Also had an interesting discussion about the UK Vs JDM STi and the PS modification to the engine.
He said that the UK STi starts running to it's limit with the 340/350 bhp mod, but the JDM still has more to give.

Having said that I read in a back issue of Japanese Performance (#63 - Pg80) that Graham Goode Racing can give you 373bhp and 370lb/ft for £2350 all in on a Euro Sti.
Cone filter
3" Turbo back pipe (with performance cat)
Uprated fuel pump (the defining factor?)
Remap

The only difference between the PPP and PS mods seems to be the addition of the higher flowing fuel pump.
Old 23 July 2006, 08:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CallumW
They supply a 3 year UK factory warranty on import Scoobs
I believe thats the pan european warranty, it still doesnt cover the car being modified outside the realms of the originating countries warranty though

Tony
Old 23 July 2006, 07:43 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CallumW
The only difference between the PPP and PS mods seems to be the addition of the higher flowing fuel pump.
I would say that the big difference is in the mapping.

When you buy PPP you buy a standard Prodrive ECU map that is the same, regardless of the car that it goes on. However with an ecutek remap, (eg. the sort you would get if you bought from Litchfield), would be mapped by an independant mapper (in Litchfield's case, Rich at Powerstation), and he would map the car's fuel, air, boost, etc. maps to suit the characteristics and capabilities of each car. This makes the car produce the maximum safe power, delivered in a smooth curve and ensuring the car is responsive.

I considered PPP for my MY01 WRX (no warranty to be concerned with) and decided I got more bang for my buck with the ecutek and having compared my results with fellow WRX PPP owners, I'm getting more power than I would've done with the PPP option. Some WRX PPP owners only get ~240bhp rather than the 265 stated in the literature.

I got 265bhp and 256lb/ft torque with all the cats left in.
Old 23 July 2006, 07:51 PM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Sorry - yes I meant the difference between the Powerstation upgrade and the GGR upgrade, not the PPP one