Notices

Cheap brake discs,too good to be true ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 07:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cheap brake discs,too good to be true ?

SET OF FRONT GOOD QUAILITY GROOVED (40 GROOVES PER DISC )PERFORMANCE BRAKE DISCS FOR THE CARS BELOW..
THEY ARE 277MM DIAMETER.
IF YOU REQ THE 295MM DISCS LOOK AT MY OTHER ITEMS

FRONT 5 HOLES
DISCS diameter 277.0mm
DISCS thickness 24.0mm
Overall height 56.8mm
BORE 58.0mm

IMPREZA TURBO 4X4 93-2000
LEGACY 2.5 4X4 95-98
FORESTER 98-2002

very cheap,even if they only last 40k, thats enough !!
Old 20 July 2006, 07:34 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be just me,but how bloody cheap?

you havent told us the price,lol
Old 20 July 2006, 07:44 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

If they are on ebay dont bother m8, I bought some similar to these for my rb5 and they lasted less than 1k before they warped.
Old 20 July 2006, 07:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

oops,sorry, yeah,there on ebay, £59 for the front set, £119 for a complete front/rear set
Old 20 July 2006, 07:54 PM
Oldfella
Scooby Regular

1k buy cheap buy 25 times
Old 20 July 2006, 08:05 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

just checked over his feedback,loads of discs sold,nothing but to be honest,surely they all dont warp, maybe bad batch,maybe not same selelr etc ?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:31 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
just checked over his feedback,loads of discs sold,nothing but to be honest,surely they all dont warp, maybe bad batch,maybe not same selelr etc ?
You are not going to wait until the discs wear out/warp to leave feedback are you
Old 20 July 2006, 10:09 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I have a pair of discs on my car from eBay (GrahamGoode Racing). £85 including pads. They're fine, good quality, no problems and I'd buy them again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 20 July 2006, 10:41 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
You could try and find someone from his / her feedback who has bought the discs off him previously and message them to find out if the discs are any good? That or you buy some then let us know because i'm also interested
Old 20 July 2006, 11:23 PM
wrxcar
Scooby Regular

they are standard discs that have had the grooves added by someone handy with a lave stay away
why do peple want grooved discs whats wrong with standard ones
i,m just wondering i use standard discs and pagid blue pads on my car with a good high performance brake fluid and i do not suffer from anyh brake problems and i have had the discs glowing red on the track
Old 20 July 2006, 11:24 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong, im not saying everything on ebay is naff but the ones I got were pants. Ive just checked and the ebay username I bought mine from is no longer used. GGR are a good seller, ive had loads of bits from them with no probs.
Old 20 July 2006, 11:25 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

If there standard discs tho, isnt that good ?

unless the aftermath of adding the grooves messes them up ?

cheers.....
Old 20 July 2006, 11:36 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I had grooved discs and have now gone back to standard. I simply have not noticed the difference.
Old 21 July 2006, 12:58 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't notice the difference on the road anyway.
Old 21 July 2006, 11:15 AM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

i had a set of the drilled and grooved ones from someone on ebay.. They were brand new but after about 2k miles the started to crack and on one side cracked all the way through the discs. I have standard ones on there now while i save to upgrade the calipers and discs and haven't noticed and loss in braking on the car.
Old 21 July 2006, 02:46 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxcar
they are standard discs that have had the grooves added by someone handy with a lave stay away
why do peple want grooved discs whats wrong with standard ones
i,m just wondering i use standard discs and pagid blue pads on my car with a good high performance brake fluid and i do not suffer from anyh brake problems and i have had the discs glowing red on the track
Firstly you can not put grooves in a disc like that with a lathe (lave)its just not possible.They would have to be ground in.(I have done this with a set at work on a rotary bed where you can index to get the grooves the exact distance between each other and these were a straight cut groove and didnt follow the curve of the disc.Like the ones pictured)

Secondly you may want to stay away from drilled discs,some of the poorer made one 's crack between the hole and are not realy that good,this would usually be the cheaper ones.

One design that people dont seem to have is a set of Discs that are just dimpled,Instead of going right through the disc you just drill them to about 1/3 the depth of the single side.This in its self will do the same as grooved discs and is easier but a little more hardier than Drilled discs.

Last edited by st3v3; 21 July 2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:17 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

you shouldnt have the grooves equidistant around the disc - you can set up a vibration...the grooves should be variable distance apart (see brake discs on bikes with various hole patterns)
Old 02 January 2007, 04:24 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at some of these a while back. In the end I paid the extra and got a set of DBA slotted discs which are great. However, I do also think that a lot of Scoobynetters pay far too much for service items like brakes. These on ebay are very cheap and are probably motor factor specials with the grooves machined in afterwards, hence why the seller has such a huge range and such cheap prices.

TBH though, at that price, why not get them and see how long they last? wrxcar you say you use standard discs and pagid blue pads. How much do they cost? I know standard discs from Subaru are pricey and aren't that good, Pagid Blues are well over the £100 mark a set aren't they? I would call that a very expensive setup IMHO.
Old 02 January 2007, 05:12 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

you could mill the grooves in, but they would have to be **** on or they wouldnt balance! Also ive had cheap disks before and after about a month they were warped!! I say warped but after much research found out warping a myth and its really down to pad tranfer i;e pad material getting transfered to the disk when hot, causing deposits that contaminate the disk causing hot spots, giving the impression its warped! Good disks have a higher carbon content so this type of thing doesnt happen! Its also good practice to bed them in properly too!

Anyway...I would be scepticle about those disks! up to you tho!! If they are milling the slots in themselves i wouldnt get them! I would think the slots were cast into the disk before its faced! could be wrong! but you would think so!
wez
Old 03 January 2007, 02:09 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

I just asked a fella that bought the £59 discs off ebay in October: he's VERY happy with them - no problems at all (he got the green pads from the same fella too)

br
Old 03 January 2007, 03:28 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair they could well be fine, theres lots of kit coming over from the far east at the moment at very cheap prices. you haven't really got a lot to lose even if they do end up in the bin in 6 months.
Old 03 January 2007, 04:16 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

40 grooves per disc isn't that a bit excessive?
Old 03 January 2007, 05:47 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Just make sure they are absolutely identical when you get them, and they are also the same (apart from grooves) as the ones that come off. I bought a cheap set of fronts a while back and they needed fitting for the car to pass the mot. It turned out that one of the disks was different to the other, so they couldn't be fitted and I had to send them back. Consequently the car failed the mot and had to be taken back for retest when it was sorted out. I opted to pay a bit more money and get a matched pair of ebc standard spec ones instead. They were identical to each other and to the ones that came off the car.

With the cheap ones, the number of vents was different, the thickness of the actual braking surface was different and the machining of the centre was different. They would have fitted but may have caused uneven braking.

On the other hand, the previous scooby needed disks and I got Nipparts standard spec ones for it quite cheap from the same place. They were absolutely fine.

I think the law now is that replacement brake parts have to perform at least as good as oem, but you can still get manufacturing faults and this is more likely with cheapies so just be careful.