Tracking Gauge Info

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 09:57 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking Gauge Info

Hi there.

For a while now I've experienced a problem with my sterring wheel. Last year I noticed that the wheel was leaning a little left; no problem I thought - just take it for an alignment and that should sort out the problem. I got the wheel stright, but noticed that the weight of the sterring wheel is all wrong.

To explain more clearly, try this experiment - put somrthing liek a food try, or a book on your lap and pretend to use it like a steering wheel. It feels balanced; ie the weight is correct. Now place a small weight on the bottom left of your tray/book; something like an empty mug or whatever.

Now try to steer - noticed the difference of where the weight is focused - on the bottom left of the 'wheel'. This is precisely how my car feels to drive.

I took it to someone to check out and they said that culprit was a 'flag' at the end of the rear-driver tracking gauge; this flag was out of alignment. Indeed, after the car was fixed, I took the car out for a test drive and it felt better. But that only lasted 2 weeks before it went back to it's old feel; bottom left syndrome.

I haven't taken the car back to be checked out as the guy who did the job thinks that something isn't right and I need to check it out. Can someone possibly explain how the tracking gauge works and what this 'flag' part is?

I took the car to a Subaru dealer, but they didn't know what a 'flag' is? Maybe it's called something else?

Many thanks.
Jas.
Old 02 July 2006, 11:45 PM
thedrill
Scooby Regular

Default odd steering

Has the car been in a collision or hit a kerb ? have you taken the car to a reputable garage to check out the alignment or to a monkey in a tyre house?

I think the term "FLAG" means only that you have needed some ajustment on their equipment and has flagged up an error on one or more corners.

I have had four wheel tracking on a few of my cars and it has made a vast difference to the way it drives, but only after checking all my suspension joints are in good order and condition and pressure of tyres.

Good luck.
Old 03 July 2006, 10:12 AM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Hi there.

About 6 months ago I took the car to RSE Motorsport in Llandudno, and they did a full 4 wheel alignment. Althought the car felt better, the steering was still crapped out. I guess it could be a gammy joint causing this, perhaps it's slipping out of position or something.

I will get it checked out. I will keep you posted.

Cheers.
Jas.