Mileage problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2006, 02:17 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage problem please help

Hi guys, I have just realised something odd with my car

I used to think how my car is ticking up mileage so easily even though its showing as miles

so what i did was on a long stretch of road let the mileage tick a mile over and from that point attempt to drive a mile which i had measured out roughly using two other cars in the family

it turns out that well before a mile is complete the car ticks a mile over

Now the problem here is that i have spoken to a few people who say that the car has had the dials changed but the techometer I belive has not been changed

what am i supposed to do since the car has so much history showing mileage which turns out not to be correct?

any help welcome

cheers
Old 01 July 2006, 02:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM import??

Tony
Old 01 July 2006, 03:09 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Yep Tony, its a MY99 JDM Sti

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
JDM import??

Tony
Old 01 July 2006, 03:55 PM
Alex86
Scooby Regular

is it possible to have the speedo changed to mph, but not the tacho?

As this is what I've supposedly got. MPH gauges, but owner said that the mileage is in KM's?
Old 01 July 2006, 05:45 PM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

mine is exactly the same mate, its fine
Old 01 July 2006, 07:20 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alex86
is it possible to have the speedo changed to mph, but not the tacho?

As this is what I've supposedly got. MPH gauges, but owner said that the mileage is in KM's?
after a dissapointing world cup exit, i think ill get back to this discussion

Alex mine is exactly like that, it reads MPH but is not ticking over as miles strangely enough.

Now my only concern is that if for example i come to sell it, how can i convince someone that the mileage showing is not really in miles
Old 02 July 2006, 04:36 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im confused here, it doesnt take much tho.

if the dials are set to MPH, i.e the kph ones have been removed, yet its ticking over in kph, the little convertor hasnt been fitted to speedo cable right ???

so, the reading of say, 10 mph isnt correct and so on.

right !!
??????

my jdm is currently unconverted and in kph, i intend to do both jobs to avoid the above probelm.

Trending Topics

Old 02 July 2006, 07:12 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

yes you are right and the question is not how to sort it out as i know it just needs a techometer what ever they call it

the question is more to do with the cars history showing the wrong mileage
i.e. when it comes to sell, the car value would be less than it should be
Old 02 July 2006, 07:20 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Odometer

tachometers a rev counter i think...
Old 02 July 2006, 07:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not really, if its reading in kph, thats how many it has, forget it is reading in mph, if it says 101000 then thats kph,if u dont get it converted,tell them this, but it would be benefical to get it sorted, so then, as of 10.7.06 it was reading 101000 kph then 11.7.06 it will be reading in miles, so u say upto that point it was in kph, convert to miles, which is about 60k then from then on it will be in miles, so remember what it was at time of conversion then just add on the miles from that,if ya get me LOL
Old 02 July 2006, 07:24 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
not really, if its reading in kph, thats how many it has, forget it is reading in mph, if it says 101000 then thats kph,if u dont get it converted,tell them this, but it would be benefical to get it sorted, so then, as of 10.7.06 it was reading 101000 kph then 11.7.06 it will be reading in miles, so u say upto that point it was in kph, convert to miles, which is about 60k then from then on it will be in miles, so remember what it was at time of conversion then just add on the miles from that,if ya get me LOL
o i get ya allright only problem is people would be thinking i may be pulling a fast one and just fibbing lol to make it sound as though my car has less miles on it
Old 02 July 2006, 11:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Does the MPH graduated speedometer only read up to 110? - 120mph? I suspect that it does; if so the car hasnt been converted, it has simply had an imperial speedometer face fitted. In this case the odometer will still record kilometres travelled (and the 180kph / 112mph restriction will still be in place).

Simon
Old 02 July 2006, 11:51 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Does the MPH graduated speedometer only read up to 110? - 120mph? I suspect that it does; if so the car hasnt been converted, it has simply had an imperial speedometer face fitted. In this case the odometer will still record kilometres travelled (and the 180kph / 112mph restriction will still be in place).

Simon
hmm i dont quite know to be honest but i did seem to be speeding according to my speedo very easily. Would feel like 30-40 but show more on the clock but maybe it feels like that now since i clicked on by the mileage

the very first time i clicked on however was when i paid a visit to a friend house which is just about 2 miles but on the scoob ticked 4 miles, taking into consideration that the 4th mile may have been due to journey starting part way through a mile increment or shall i say km

but my only concern is whether i can genuinely get this sorted out and have attached as part of cars history since i have a lot of history with my car
Old 03 July 2006, 10:44 AM
elv73
Scooby Newbie

Mine (93 wrx) does exactly the same as this.The speedo face reads in MPH but the mileage still clock up in Kilometers.
I have checked the readings on the speedo against my Garmin GPS and the speedo appears to read the correct speed in MPH but still clocks the mileage up in Kilometers rather than miles?? I know that the car hasnt been de-restricted and still has the 112mph limiter fitted (discovered whilst on a private road of course! )
I was also considering trying to get it changed to clock up miles but have decided to leave it as is so that if I do sell it in the future I dont have to try and convince the new owner that it used to be Kilometers but is now reading in miles so is not as high as it might seem.

Last edited by elv73; 03 July 2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03 July 2006, 09:36 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elv73
Mine (93 wrx) does exactly the same as this.The speedo face reads in MPH but the mileage still clock up in Kilometers.
I have checked the readings on the speedo against my Garmin GPS and the speedo appears to read the correct speed in MPH but still clocks the mileage up in Kilometers rather than miles?? I know that the car hasnt been de-restricted and still has the 112mph limiter fitted (discovered whilst on a private road of course! )
I was also considering trying to get it changed to clock up miles but have decided to leave it as is so that if I do sell it in the future I dont have to try and convince the new owner that it used to be Kilometers but is now reading in miles so is not as high as it might seem.
thats a good idea also but it still is mentally off putting for a new owner to see high mileage even though it is not in miles they may get put off