Notices

clutch pedal doing my swede in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 02:26 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal doing my swede in!!!

as it is above!! whan i change gear my clutch pedal creaks and squeeks on the way back up like its all dry and what not. ive sprayed thoroughly underneath and around the inside of the pedal with WD40 for some lubrication and it keeps happening still.

also when the clutch is in its normal position, it moves freely a bit downwards and upwards without any pressure on the pedal itself, like its loose or something. changes gear fine even when giving some beans. is this "clutch play??"

someone must know how to stop it squeeking, doing my bloody nut in!!!

cheers guys
Old 28 June 2006, 07:40 AM
Scooby Senior

First you need to find out if the squeaking is at the pedal end or the box end, (you may need a mate with this) then grease/lubricate as required. It will probobly be at the pivot itself, spraying the pedal wont help.

the free play is just clutch adjustment so that you get the pedal at the right height, this is the same on most manual cars

Adam
Old 28 June 2006, 07:57 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

There is an R clip on a shaft through the pedal box.

This rotates so that the clip rubs and squeeks on the box. You can spin it around or WD40 it and it stops for a while, but it will go again.

Rotate the shaft so the R clip is clear, put a blob of silicon on the end to hold it and jobs a good un - no more squeeks
Old 29 June 2006, 11:21 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem and after stinking the car out with WD40 and getting silicone grease everywhere I finally discovered that the squeak was actually coming from the clutch bell housing (lift the bonnet and get somebody to pump the pedal while you listen or you can maybe actually feel the creaking of the pivot if you put a finger on it). Apparently the pivot pin gets very dry and can be removed for cleaning and lubricating (after first removing the starter motor) by taking out an allen screw in one end of it and sliding it out, being careful not to drop the operating lever into the housing... I actually oiled mine in situ by attaching a piece of windscreen washer tubing to an oil can, peeling back the rubber on the bell housing and doing my best to oil the pivot ends without getting any on the clutch and that has helped a lot, confirming what the source was. If it comes back I'll remove the pivot as above. I should mention that I have a front mount intercooler which helped access and I guess that you'll have to remove the top mount first if that's what you have. Hope this helps.

Raymond.
Old 30 June 2006, 12:05 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanx mate i dare sya that will. i could see about the guys who service my car doing it for me...

cheers geezer