Notices

poorly engine

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2006, 04:31 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poorly engine

My number 2 piston has gone on a my 95 jdm imprezza ,the garage has informed me no compression ,after alot of thought ,im thinking of removing the engine me self as ive nothing to looses and either thinking of leaving car off the road for a while ,why i attempt to build it meself or possibly taking engine to a specialsts to get them to build it , the trouble is i,m not sure as to what caused it to go and , the car is run on optimax ,z4 ecu , and prior to smoke appearing it didnt seem to boost past 7 psi , any ideas as to what caused this to happen , dont want to get it built and for it to happen again . also the ecu fault light is showing error 32 ,oxygen sensor , please help. me cheers
Old 27 June 2006, 04:40 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default come on

anyone , and i thought alot of people knew alot of things about scoobs on here , on is the info top secret lol...
Old 27 June 2006, 04:48 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

replace the oxygen sensor before you get the engine sorted.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:54 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default cheers

but will it have an oxygen sensor ,if its been de catted ,cheers for response
Old 27 June 2006, 05:17 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

yes because the cats arent the o2 sensor.
the o2 sensor lives in the downpipe just on the swan neck.
it reads the o2 content in the exhaust gas to check the mixture is all good.
if its duff, then it downt read the correct mixture and the fuelling is out, goes lean under load and can melt a piston
Old 27 June 2006, 06:21 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default mmmm

your a star peanuts ive got her in bits so i,ll go and take it out , i dont suppose there is a resistance check i could do with this,just to verify the failure, ive also took all the plugs out , numbers 2, 3, & 4 plugs are quite black and wet looking,wereas number 1 looks fine does this look like head gasket failure too , although the garage said number 2 piston had no comression ,strange ... cheers
Old 27 June 2006, 09:13 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default no O2 sensor

Originally Posted by Peanuts
yes because the cats arent the o2 sensor.
the o2 sensor lives in the downpipe just on the swan neck.
it reads the o2 content in the exhaust gas to check the mixture is all good.
if its duff, then it downt read the correct mixture and the fuelling is out, goes lean under load and can melt a piston
well had the i/c off the car an hre ago , & turbo heat shield , i cannot seem to see an oxygen sensor , there is a place for it but its`s been blanked off with a plug , ?
also noticed there seems to be quite abit of oil in the i/c ,and in the turbo intake pipe , is this just due to the engine problem ie no compression on number 2 piston or could there be a turbo oil seal problem too ... anyone .....

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2006, 11:18 PM
scoobykevuk
Scooby Regular

that will be why your oxy sensor coming up as fault on diag check as its obviously been removed, and has probably as mentioned before cause it to run very lean on load and **** you engine mate,see if you can find the wires or connector and get a sensor in it mate before engine goes back.
Old 27 June 2006, 11:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95 JDM has it in the headers.. the oxygen sensor is not used under load and I doubt it caused your failure I am afraid.

Simon
Old 27 June 2006, 11:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

is it a wagon?
Old 28 June 2006, 07:19 AM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default or yeah

my car is a my95 wrx saloon, if your looking at the engine from the front where exactly are the headers and the oxy sensor situated , i thopught it may of contributed to engine fooking up , wat a ****, i think i,m gona just have to book her in a garage , quite fancy taking it to api , its just the distance , i,m in middlesbrough ,what do you think was the culprit for the failure , ? ...........i know its shagged but its just bugging me as to why its shagged with only 74,000 miles on the clock and not thrashed ,defo above my head cant risk another failure,,,
Old 28 June 2006, 07:51 AM
Scooby Senior

the headers are underneath and the o2 sensor should be down at the bottom on the left hand side. it should have a braided wire running up at the front of the turbo/brake servo.

you wont know exactly what caused it until you know what the problem is.

Adam
Old 28 June 2006, 08:04 AM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default Ta

Originally Posted by 500
the headers are underneath and the o2 sensor should be down at the bottom on the left hand side. it should have a braided wire running up at the front of the turbo/brake servo.

you wont know exactly what caused it until you know what the problem is.

Adam
CHEERS ADAM , Shall have a look at that tonight after work , i know it was a long shot guessing whats caused it , me thinks its a defo garage job , was gona attempt it me self i,e engine out job , but think i,ll have to book her in ,thanks again ..... thanks everyone for being helpfull too...
Old 28 June 2006, 09:46 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yeah what Adam said.. I was asking whether it was a wagon as that would have a different turbo and therefore shouldn't be running the Z4 ecu, which is not the case as it is a saloon.. just thought it was worth checking.

Wihtout getting a map out I think Middlesborough is not a mega amount away from Wellingborough? http://www.zenperformance.co.uk/ also worth a look in, both Zen and API build excellent engines.

Simon
Old 28 June 2006, 09:56 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dav 27
my car is a my95 wrx saloon, if your looking at the engine from the front where exactly are the headers and the oxy sensor situated , i thopught it may of contributed to engine fooking up , wat a ****, i think i,m gona just have to book her in a garage , quite fancy taking it to api , its just the distance , i,m in middlesbrough ,what do you think was the culprit for the failure , ? ...........i know its shagged but its just bugging me as to why its shagged with only 74,000 miles on the clock and not thrashed ,defo above my head cant risk another failure,,,
We do collect cars from anywhere in the UK if that helps in the decision process.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 28 June 2006, 01:20 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

API did my re-build, excellent job And David is one of the good guys (no bulls**t type).

Or a bit closer to you is ASP and Alyn is a good bloke too.
Old 28 June 2006, 04:33 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default cheers

Originally Posted by APIDavid
We do collect cars from anywhere in the UK if that helps in the decision process.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Thanks for all the replys guys and david what sort of price would you charge for pickup, reading all previous posts it appears your one of the best , its just the distance thats bugging me , once engines built and up and running would i have to come back down to your garage for re tightening of head and stuff after a few hundred miles or is the job completely done after build ,cheers