Notices

what else to do before mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2006, 09:58 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else to do before mapping?

Im booked to have my car remapped next friday,and im wondering if there is anything else i can do in the short space of time thats left that can help/improve my current spec?

car spec at the moment is

my00 spec jdm wrx classic wagon
TD05fe ported entry
standard headers ported and heat wrapped
Harvey smith ported and wrapped up pipe
larger 2004 wrx i/c, samco y pipe fitted, foam on top of i/c to seal to bonnet
forge vta with red uprated spring fitted
i/c tilt kit fitted and splitter in scoop
i/c spray set to activate at 10.5 psi and above
open necked down pipe heat wrapped
standard jdm center section with resonator ( for noise limits as night worker)
miltek rear silencer
walbro 255lph fuel pump
engine breathers routed to catch can ( all three )
slam panel mod for increased air flow through engne bay
standard airbox with simota panel filter
wing resonator removed,with cold air feed pipe from front bumper
earthing kit fitted for hopefully a better spark
charge air temp,oil temp,oil pressure, boost and afr gauges fitted
all to be controlled with an apexi power fc with commander

has sti suspension fitted already,and upgraded standard 2 pots to 4 pots with drilled and grooved black diamond discs and pads
everything is fitted and ready to go

is there anything else i can do quickly that can maximise the above mods better?

martin
Old 25 June 2006, 10:30 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Fuel pressure reg maybe ??????????????
Old 25 June 2006, 10:38 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

renno. did think about that mod,but thought at my projected power out put the standard regulator would be ok... uprated walbro pump does not seem able to overpower the regulator so all seems to be ok there
Old 25 June 2006, 10:44 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Yeah maybe someone else can confirm. I would and did though. As far as I know there is a good chance of the Walbro overpowering the standard reg. Esp on the classic. Unless I read wrong I would have thought the projected power would warrant one. Ill be watching the thread with intrest.

Renno
Old 25 June 2006, 11:11 PM
Timothy Morphy
Scooby Regular

I'd do reg too,lets you run the injectors at a higher and rate,and,a bit late now but a parallel fuel rail mod,keeps everything even.
Tim
Old 25 June 2006, 11:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

cold air kit, inlet pipe and an avcr, plus maybe change to an sti tmic that will see a huge difference once mapped
Old 25 June 2006, 11:19 PM
Timothy Morphy
Scooby Regular

Wuold it be worth fitting PF7 plugs? not sure to the state of tune required to use these over the standard PF6's.

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2006, 11:28 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

unfortunatly a regulator change is not an option as would involve turbo removal,and as the car is a daily driver and needed for work there is no time for that now....... i do think it will be fine as it is though from postings iv read on here.... parallel fuel mod again would be nice,but also think for my needs not absolutly needed..... time unfortunatly is not on my side at this moment in time for anything major,i think ive covered most things,just in case ive missed anything obvious that i should have done........

ive been assured that the plugs will be fine...... poss upgrade them when they are next due a change

newage wrx intercooler has been used on cars with 380 bhp....... sti will not be needed on my spec.... cold air feed already in place

Last edited by rigga; 25 June 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03 July 2006, 01:44 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Well just an update....... the car was mapped on the 30th and ive had a couple of days to have a drive to see whati think

and its frigging amazing now .... big thanks to simon aka jolly green monster who ventured up to birmingham on friday,fitted his mapping equipment and a 3 port boost solenoid and off we went.... have a local dual carriageway that has a fairly decent run with an island at each end,so perfect to blat up and down to sort it all out...... took a tame drive down the first time to check it was all clear,then off we went.... tried various boost levels to determine the best ignition and fuel to use.... bear in mind ive been running around off boost for two weeks whilst i waited for this,so was amazed when we settled at 1.3 bar peak boost,which it holds...... injectors running at 92% (standard my00 440's ) and my egine seems very quiet as the commander never shows more than 6 on the knock scale......simon did mention it was a solid unit,so im happy with that..... the commander is very useful for showing peak values after a run,so glad i went the extra bit for that feature alone....all in all the best mod so far to the car,its like night and day compared to when the td04 was on there,pulls so strong now...the islands that before where so far apart came up all to quickly once we settled on the final spec..... might put it on the rollers at some point to see what numbers it can show,but on the road where it counts..... its stunning

a very happy wagon owner now
Old 03 July 2006, 02:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Airbox mod? using a jigsaw to increase the size of the hole...
Old 03 July 2006, 03:35 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

standard airbox is not restrictive until about 350bhp as far as im aware..... the mods i have done to my airbox are fine for my needs.....plus any increase in the hole size might promote hot engine bay air to be drawn in,not good....my cold air feed pipe takes care of that
Old 03 July 2006, 03:50 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Remove (hot) water feed through throttle body - although memory suggests Simon had a frozen throttle as a result once.....I've never had issues on mine in 2 years. Probably best to wait until you put the td05/06 hybrid and new FPR on it as part of stage 2...that's just before stage 3, a new gearbox

Richard
Old 03 July 2006, 04:37 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Richard....... eerrrr yea stages 2 and 3 had crossed my mind already lol
Old 03 July 2006, 08:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dowser
Remove (hot) water feed through throttle body - although memory suggests Simon had a frozen throttle as a result once.....I've never had issues on mine in 2 years. Probably best to wait until you put the td05/06 hybrid and new FPR on it as part of stage 2...that's just before stage 3, a new gearbox

Richard
no frozen throttle last winter.. lol although I did clean up all the throttle body as I found it was full of muck..

Simon
Old 04 July 2006, 04:12 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit a blue spring in place of the red spring as that is too hard.
Refit your resonator box so the MAF sees a smoothed out air flow.
In addition to removing water from the throttle body like Richad says you can also remove it from the idle control valve.
Consider inlet manifold spacers.
Insulate the header tank from the driver side inlet manifold, including lifting it on tufnol or other suitable insulation spacers.
Don't bother with the fuel reg. unless you run into a problem or want to up the pressure to reduce the IDCs.
Old 04 July 2006, 01:02 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

I was wondering about the spring,but i thought originally that as i was going to be running more boost than standard,the higher rated one would be better to prevent the valve from being overcome by pressure,and poss leak.... there are no fuelling issues with this current set up,but have noticed that at say 2500rpm when changing gear im hearing a fluttering sound,which i believe is the turbo vanes stalling due to back pressure? the much looked for wrc sound i guess.... the td05 units are very strong so presumed they would cope with this better than the vf series which are known to have weaker internals,what are the implications of running with the red spring compared to the blue?..... isolating the header tank i will do,and poss any other coolant related items that could affect the charge temp,although even in the current hot weather my temps when on the move stay at 30-35 degrees.... in the early hours when im going home from work and they are in the mid to high teens the car is so much better,so heat managment is very important i know...
fuel reg i will leave until poss i decide to go further with this car or not,currently its coping fine with the walbro pump,and increased fuel pressure is not needed at this time,by the way thanks for all your advise previously,and to others on here... the results are excellent