Notices

Difference between UK Turbo and WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 12:21 PM
Lid
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between UK Turbo and WRX

As the Title suggests, what are the differences between a MY97 UK turbo engine and a WRX engine of the same year. the MY97 has 208bhp, how much does the WRX and STI's have?

I want to increase power, so I am wondering if there are simple changes to turn my UK turbo into a WRX or STI.

Any help is appreciated
Old 04 July 2006, 02:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

IIRC, the WRX had around 265 bhp.

No simple changes I'm afraid, the internals of the UK engine are different, cams, cam timing, pistons, etc. The WRX and STi also had a completely different ecu.

There are a few things you can do, but if you have a UK car, look to the brakes first: UK cars came with 2 pots on the front and quite small discs, around 280mm?). My '98 car now has Godspeed Brembo 4-pots with 325mm discs inside 2002 WRX 17" wheels.

After that, think of the exhaust system: a decent stainless system from front to rear might liberate 25bhp. Look at TSL, Grahame Goode, Powerstation etc for ideas.

Don't look at remaps until you've done the obvious stuff, and DON'T get it "chipped". A PROPER remap will see your engine remain safe. Blowing up a Scoob engine isn't a good monetary idea!

Alcazar