Notices

Mounting Oil Temp Sender

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 11:44 PM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting Oil Temp Sender

I have been defeated by the classic cylinder 3 option for temp sender - even with the intercooler removed I can't get near it. So advice please - I have beem suggested to use a plate on the oil filter or a bolt at the rear nearside of the engine (see very bad photo below). Does anyone have any experience of either/recommendations? Is the bolt mentioned below even an oil-way, and if so anyone know the thread?

Please help!

Many thanks, Aaron

Old 25 June 2006, 12:04 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

is that an engine or a chest x-ray?

The oil filter sandwich/adaptor seems the easiest way of installation I think.
Old 25 June 2006, 12:15 AM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

Damn camera phones!

Does the filter plate give reasonable a reasonable reading then in your experience? I believe the reason cylinder 3 was recommended is because it tends to be the worst case due to heating from the turbo?
Old 25 June 2006, 12:18 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

your correct about cylinder 3.

I dont know about the sandwich plate as I have never used one or know anyone that has one.

Im sure someone else on here can shed some light on this.
Old 25 June 2006, 10:25 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use a sandwich plate, but all you'll sense there is what's going on at the sump, which is pretty pointless. If you're way over or under temp/pressure down there, then where it actually counts, the damage will already have been done IMHO.

I'd say perservere with #3 cylinder. What's the problem...getting to the plug or getting the plug out? If it's the former, just remove more stuff first, if it's the latter, get the right bit for it and a lot of elbow grease.

The sandwich plate option is a bit of a bodge I think. A great idea for taking off a remote oil cooler feed, but not for a gauge reading.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:42 AM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input. I managed to get the intercooler off with great difficulty (turbo pipe seemed to require scary amounts of force and shaking, and getting it back on was no better) but there were still several pipes in the way, I couldn't even get a finger to the plug or squeeze a socket down there. I guess I'm not very good at working on engines, simple as that. Anyone know of any other options to get to an oilway in the interesting bit? Is that plug on the side of the engine at the nearside rear that I mentioned a possibility

Thanks.
Old 25 June 2006, 01:21 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a bit of a nightmare in there if you're not sure what's what. I wouldn't have tackled it when I was new to my Impreza. But after numerous intercooler-off jobs, including changing the throttle body, bleeding the clutch, plumbing in a recirculating oil catch-tank system etc you get to know your way around.

If the I/C's not been off for a long while, it will be a ******* to ease off. Helps if you've swapped your pipes for Samcos. I find it a lot easier to work in that back of the engine area if you stick a rug or something over the engine and basically lie on it!

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2006, 06:55 PM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and give it another go... maybe try and remove the other pipes below the I/C although that doesn't look easy...? Is it better to warm the engine up first to get the soften the pipes? That turbo pipe seems almost inflexible.

I must admit I used to do quite a bit of work on all my previous cars, but the Scoob really isn't much fun!
Old 25 June 2006, 11:51 PM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I must have done "something" right. I installed an oil temp gauge sending unit in the #3 cylinder bung without removing anything but the bung itself. If you have a socket set, a universal and an extension it can be inserted amongst all the stuff easilyand the plug removed. For install of the sender I first installed the sender into the bung. The changed out the short socket with a deep and simply screwed the combined plug/sender in as a unit. Plugged the sender wire in, all done. Start to finish, not 5 minutes. This is in a US 05 WRX wagon. I too was prepared for an arduous task, but it turned out to be very simple , easy and quick.

Mike
Old 26 June 2006, 12:06 AM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

I guess either there is less clutter in an '05 US spec than a 97 UK spec or you've got better fingers! When you say nothing removed, does that engine not have a top mount intercooler? It would be a feat indeed to do it on a without removing the i/c!
Old 26 June 2006, 01:21 AM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

Correct, TMIC. Nothing removed or moved about. It really took less than 5 minutes. I think I fretted for about an hour before hand if that counts. When the wife brings my camera back home I will take a pic.

Mike.
Old 26 June 2006, 08:34 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

my guide would be.

Remove intercooler

use allen socket with long etension squeezed between the hoses to remove plug (good bit of force required to loosen)

Insert adapter piece by using some tape inside the socket so that it doesnt drop out. Spin it the wrong way once in place to find the start of the thread and avoid cross threading it.

Same procedure with a deep socket for sender.

Use a magnetic pick up tool to get the nut started on top of the sender (the one that sticks down the signal wire connector.

Make sure to use ptfe thread tape on the adapter and sender.

Some people bore the sump and thread that hole for a measurement. This seems like more work to me. They seem to get around a 10C cooler reading.
Old 26 June 2006, 09:03 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

http://www.ostadal.pwp.blueyonder.co...ods_gauges.htm

Stefan
Old 26 June 2006, 11:49 PM
Aaron
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the all the input guys. Will try again with the right tools and a bit more time...

Ahhh the days of little lawnmower engines in ma-houssive engine bays...!
Old 26 June 2006, 11:58 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

i fitted this to my car yesterday and did it in a completly different way. It may be a long way around but i tooke the alternator and moved the air con pump out of the way to give me better access. Took about 30 mins from start to finish and i wasn't rushing. I do have a front mount intercooler so had no problems with removing the intercooler as i didn't need to
Old 27 June 2006, 07:15 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

That's a different plug you've used. We were talking about the one above cyl no. 3. On the block in between the throttle body and the turbo.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:06 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Ah sorry i stand corrected