Notices

Cambelt Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2006, 09:02 AM
moron
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cambelt Question...

My 99UK needs a cambelt change. What's a reasonable price for this and do the pulleys and tensioners need doing generally and if so, what sort of price should I expect? Just waiting for a quote from a garage. I know scoobyclinic quoted #160 just for the belt + VAT but they're miles away....
Old 08 June 2006, 11:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Tensioners and pulleys are suck it and see. People do sometimes replace them for the hell of it, depdns on how paranoid they are, or how much they listen to the paranoid

Personally, I reckon they are ok up to the 2nd cambelt change...if they were replaced on the last cambelt change you may find them to be prefectly servicable. If the pulleys spin smoothly, have no play and aren't dry then they are ok, tensioner is just a hydraulic piston, if it doesn't extend properly or leaks, replace it, sometimes compressing it to remove/fit it finishes them off - generally the old style tensioners can go a bit dodgy thus why so many people bleat on about changing them.

Cambelt is obtainable for about £65 (genuine Gates)
The Pulleys are about £76 and £70 (Genuine Subaru - can get them for cheaper, i.e half that.)
Tensioner is about £90

All inc Vat

Labour is between 1 to 2 hours (soley for the belt change- not for any other service work), depending if the mechanic feels the need to reomve the radiator or not (depends on the size of their hands )

Alternative to replacement pulleys is to replace the ballrace bearings in them. I do not know of the size or where to get them, but other people have done this succesfully.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 June 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08 June 2006, 11:18 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

My recent one cost £450 at official dealer, but that also included aircon and PS belts, oil seal gasket and cover gaskets, plus a few other bits and pieces.

I'd reckon around £300 - £350 at main dealer if its just the cambelt.

While the covers and belts are off its worth getting them to check if the tensioners, seals and any other bits in that area could do with replacing, otherwise if they do go shortly after, then you'll have to pay all over again ( if the oil seal leaks, the belts will need changing again as they can get contaminated ).
Old 08 June 2006, 04:17 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moron
My 99UK needs a cambelt change. What's a reasonable price for this and do the pulleys and tensioners need doing generally and if so, what sort of price should I expect? Just waiting for a quote from a garage. I know scoobyclinic quoted #160 just for the belt + VAT but they're miles away....
Off Scoobyclinic site (I just had one fitted )
Cambelts
carrying a 40,000 mile no quibble warranty

Model: All Models
Price: supplied & fitted £185