Notices

How to increase boost

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2006, 04:21 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to increase boost

is it just a case of tightening up the threads on the actuator?
i've done this for approx 5 turns and have not seen a noticable difference (Its moved about .5 bar) on the gauge or under load while driving?
i think i might be boosting to low (has only shown .6 before) which i why i am trying to increase it,
i dont know why i'm boosting to low, i am just going off the gauge (which is new) but i have recently had the turbo off and all pipework seems to be ok, i'm sure its been put back together properly as well so i am quite perplexed as to what is happening now,

any advice much appreciated
Old 07 June 2006, 04:32 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

What car is it you are running??

An early wrx 93/94 run about .75bar std, possibly .8bar. ECU Boost cut is around 1.05 bar.

One way of increasing boost is to fit a manual boost controller, there are cheap but effective ones around (Dawes) can be picked up for around £30 in foresale or ebay.

There are more costly methods, such as having a remap, or a new ecu.

If your car never goes higher than .5, there could be a reason....... the ecu may be holding it in 'limp mode', which is set to .5bar, and rpm at only up to 4000........this is normally the cu trying to protect your engine due to a fault.

Im not sure adjusting the actuator threads will do much (hence why it hasnt)..

Try to put a bit more detail on what and why you are trying to achieve.

Frank

Last edited by redwrx; 07 June 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07 June 2006, 05:56 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

yeah sorry i should have said, Doh!

it's an MY99 uk car, and i have reset the ECU, it came up with no faults found as well which was nice, i have just fitted a full decat, all i'm looking for at this moment in time is to get it to be boosting to what it should be i.e 0.9 bar which it doesn't.
It does rev well, right up to the redline so i'm quite sure it's not in limp mode, my other thought is that it could be a faulty gauge and it's not reading properly to start with? i guess i need to get another and see what that says.

i do have a remap planned but not yet as i have other mods to do first, it just want the car running properly first so i'm not chasing problems and not know where they are cos of what else i may have done, if that all makes sense?
Old 07 June 2006, 06:17 PM
lguillermocp
Scooby Regular

if your boost is near 0.5 bars you would feel the car very slow. The standar pressure make more than 200 horses. Try to disconnect the hose from the turbo to the actuator and check if you can boost more than 0.5 B (becarefull with this because you can hit the boost fuel cut). if so, it is sure that the turbo and hoses are fine. Buy a manual boost controller and put the boost on 1.0 bar. Dont touch the actuator.
Old 09 June 2006, 06:22 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

a development! i have been on an Autobahn run today for the first time since it has had the decat and the boost seems to be acting as follows:

1st - peaks at 0.6bar whatever revs
2nd - peaks at 0.7bar but only over 4.5k
3rd - peaks at 0.8 over 4.5k only
4th - peaks at 0.85 at 5k +
5th - peaks at 1.0bar at 6K

anyone any ideas what is happening with my boost, it slowly climbs to the peaks given after the revs given and is usually there by red line,

is my turbo shot? is the ECU at fault

i know its hard to diagnose on here without seeing the car but help me please gents you are my only hope, my local subaru dealer is toss. (i'm in Germany and they didn't get GC8's so look at me very confused if i want anything technical, its different they tell me? they even had to order up pipe gaskets in?)

Last edited by scoobysmiff; 09 June 2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10 June 2006, 08:09 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

anyone? am i concerned about nothing here?

Cheers