Notices

03 STI Upgrade (newbie questions)

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2006, 10:12 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 STI Upgrade (newbie questions)

Hi People,

Been reading lots of threads on this but all go of and lose me.

I have an 03 Type UK STI with no PPP.

I was thinking of upgraded to boost the power, really want quick as apose to top end (but i suppose they come hand in hand?)

I live South East London and wanted to know what companies do upgrades that you would recommend? I am thinking more along the lines of PPP or Stage 2 type upgrade but i really have no idea.

Also, anyone able to advise on how any upgrade will effect petrol usage? Do i lose serious MPG?

Websites and more information would be greatly appreciated if you have a moment

Thank you!

Last edited by AVZ; 04 June 2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04 June 2006, 10:37 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

IMHO:
The easiest, best value and cheapest option would be to go for an ecutek3 remap. You don't really need to make any supporting mods, although to get the best out of the remap it may be worth fitting a performance panel filter and possibly removing one of the cats. It may also be worth fitting an uprated fuel pump (although may not be needed on an STi - anyone confirm?).

Without removing any cats, you should easily get an extra 30-40bhp and a decent amount of extra torque. Removing one or more cats will give even more bhp/torque and also better response from the engine.

Obviously PPP will retain your warranty whereas the ecutek3 remap will not. However being an 03 plate I guess it's run out anyway?

ECUTEK3 = ~£650 inc VAT
Panel filter = ~£40
Fuel pump (if needed) = £90

Total = £780 (plus fitting of fuel pump).

Edit: It shouldn't affect your MPG too drastically, perhaps a couple of MPG's when driving with a heavy right foot.

http://www.ecutek.com/
http://andyforrestperformance.co.uk/index2.html

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 04 June 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05 June 2006, 12:57 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

The above does sound right, fuel pump will be needed, or the std one may max out, run lean and bang,

Not sure who is available down in the London area for tuning but there are some good companies about that someone will mention,
With the ppp they remove, the 2nd cat and put on a sports catted down pipe, which would make one think a good exhaust system would be a good investment either the prodrive items or other makes, So something even similar to the ppp will provide good results for what your after..

I think it is important to decide how far you want to go and what your budget is, then going further to different exhaust manifolds, turbo's, induction kits, upgrade the suspension setup etc..
Old 05 June 2006, 04:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PPP i found to be good if your car is still under warranty...

I am also searching for an upgrade...this maybe of some use to you:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=520072