Notices

Modding MY93 jap wrx

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 03:45 PM
4Q2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding MY93 jap wrx

Ok i have a MY93 jap import wrx T 260bhp where do i start with getting abit more power out of it. at the moment all it has on it is

HKS back box
Enkie sport jwl Jap alloys
tein coilovers
cursco front strut brace

no indution kit
factory fit dump valve
the rest is standard BWT i know **** all about Scoobys

ps i dont want to be spending to much, want to do it bit by bit
Old 31 May 2006, 03:56 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Panel filter or induction kit
Full decat exhaust
Then remap (ScoobyECU or Apexi)

Scooby ECUs are much cheaper but the Apexi can be easily mapped several times over. basically boils down to - are you going to keep on modding or are you going to buy a few bits and then stop?

I've just installed an ESL chip from a group buy -
Old 31 May 2006, 04:23 PM
Matt_TD05
Scooby Newbie

Default ESL ?

How did you get on with the ESL chip from groupbuy, im looking at the ECU now, and am a bit unsure of what route to take.. i dont fancy spending £550 on a remap as the car is pretty standard ( MY94 - wagon ) and ive heard that an upgrade board ( IE Z4 or better ) is an option.. anyone know what would be well suited to a 94 WRX Jap Wagon ? ( as an upgrade ECU opposed to a remap ) someone here posted to me that the Z4 wouldnt be well suited as the Wagon has a smaller turbo ? any advice ??
Old 31 May 2006, 06:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4Q2
Ok i have a MY93 jap import wrx T 260bhp where do i start with getting abit more power out of it. at the moment all it has on it is

HKS back box
Enkie sport jwl Jap alloys
tein coilovers
cursco front strut brace

no indution kit
factory fit dump valve
the rest is standard BWT i know **** all about Scoobys

ps i dont want to be spending to much, want to do it bit by bit
I would be surprised if you had 260bhp if the engine has not been modded. WRX's dont come with that power output. Sounds like an autotrader advert.

Anyway to answer your question best bet is to start with a decat downpipe, that will free up a good few horses, you may need a dawes type device to control your boost with that. (should safely be able to run about 1 bar and the standard ecu will cope with that).
Induction kits arent really neccessary, however a good panel filter will give you a few more ponies under your right foot, the sti panel filter is supposedly a good upgrade.
Keep the factory dump valve, it does its job well unless you want to be a bit more noisy at the expense of possible poor running/idling and excessive fuelling. With these mods that will probably take you upto about 250 ish. Get used to that for a while as you will notice the difference.
I would get an uprated fuel pump next as yours being a 1993 model, if it is standard may be getting a bit tired. For the next stage of mods this would be a neccessity anyway.
Whilst your getting used to the new power, start saving for a mappable ecu depending on how far you want to go with the mods. An apexi power fc will cost about £800 fitted and mapped and this will take advantage of your engine, it will run to the best of its abilities safely with fuelling and ignition spot on. As you mod more (which you will) you can have it remapped which isnt that expensive to further take advantage.
Hope that has given you some pointers.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:40 PM
4Q2
Scooby Regular

Well thx all for the info it has helped loads
Old 31 May 2006, 06:43 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

ScoobyECU (or similar)
Decat
Panel filter (green cotton, sti, hks, etc)
Boost Gauge

Leave the recirc dump valve unless you just want the noise of a blow-off type, the standard one is fine for modest increases in power.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:46 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

[
QUOTE=jaytc2003]I would be surprised if you had 260bhp if the engine has not been modded. WRX's dont come with that power output.

Some come with up to 276bhp standard. My97 onwards.
But a MY93 will be 236bhp.
Old 31 May 2006, 07:00 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Having owned a MY93 WRX, i would look at a full decat as already mentioned and a remap.

The part that really lets the 93WRX down is the poxy top mount intercooler. I had mine running around the 280bhp mark and having driven the car hard for a number of minutes, i could really feel the power drain as the heat built up under the engine.

If the budget stretches, try and get a replacement top mount.

Mark
Old 31 May 2006, 09:17 PM
4Q2
Scooby Regular

how do i find out if the ECU has been changed? or what do i look for
Old 01 June 2006, 08:53 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
[
QUOTE=jaytc2003]I would be surprised if you had 260bhp if the engine has not been modded. WRX's dont come with that power output.

Some come with up to 276bhp standard. My97 onwards.
But a MY93 will be 236bhp.
Yes I know, I should of added that a 1993 wrx doesnt come with that power as standard..

4Q2
To check what ecu you have, you need to lift the carpet in the passenger footwell. There will be a metal cover plate held on with a few nuts (think they are 10mm cant remember its been a while), remove these and you will then see the ecu case. I cant remember for definate but I am sure it tells you on the top of the case. You may see something that looks like U8, W6, Z4 something along those lines. If you post what you find or do a search on here, you should then be able to find out what power the chip gives (the usual output though is ps and not bhp, and also if it is a japanese ecu then the figures were also achieved on 100 ron fuel)