Notices

Rusty chassis, sub frame, roll bar etc - Tried waxoil, what else can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 10:35 PM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty chassis, sub frame, roll bar etc - Tried waxoil, what else can i do?

Hi all,

Been under my MY98 Turbo today and noticed how rusty that underside really is. The rear sub-frame, roll bars, trailing arms etc are all really flaky. When I first got the car I waxoiled the entire underside, but alas it still not keeping the dreaded orange stuff at bay.

Anything else I can do or do I have to admit defeat to having an old motor!

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:26 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is inevitable.
My Sti v3 import was perfect underneath when i bought it shortly after import.
You could get all the parts under there to actually shine with a light spray of WD40.
The car is only used in the 'summer' as it is a road driven competition car, but even now there is rust locally on some parts. (3 years).

I actually clean my suspension mainly to check if all is well under there during the racing season, and with that maintenance i cant beat it.

Graham
Old 30 May 2006, 08:59 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i was under my 97 import last week to give it a post winter jetwash and mine is fine, i did have few tiny little orange marks on the brake hose brackets (white car) but apart from that its all honky dory

you sure its not been in a bump?
Old 30 May 2006, 10:46 AM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

No its not been bumped, its just the great british weather taking its toll!

I think thats the difference, you both have imports and therefore subjected to let salt and bad weather. Mines a UK turbo.

Old 30 May 2006, 12:21 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WaxOil wont help, its a preventative measure not a cure, plus its a right pain in the **** trying to replace parts that are coated in that ****e it never seems to set, plus if you ever have to get any welding done on an area that has been coated in waxoil it makes for some great fires!

Best to use a wire wheel to get back to bare metal then apply a thick solid drying under-seal.
Old 30 May 2006, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Although apply etch primer any bare metal before the under seal as the underseal doesn't stick properly to bare metal, creates capillary action for any moisture that does get in there and makes it worse.

My scoob doesn't have any rust problems (My98) to shout about. But I make a habit of washing off the salt and grit from underneath and round the arches every week during the winter with the jet nozzle on the hosepipe. The result is just the big subframe bolts are rusty and the under section of the radiator and rear inner bumper.
Old 30 May 2006, 02:48 PM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Although apply etch primer any bare metal before the under seal as the underseal doesn't stick properly to bare metal, creates capillary action for any moisture that does get in there and makes it worse.

My scoob doesn't have any rust problems (My98) to shout about. But I make a habit of washing off the salt and grit from underneath and round the arches every week during the winter with the jet nozzle on the hosepipe. The result is just the big subframe bolts are rusty and the under section of the radiator and rear inner bumper.
MMMmm, interesting. Is yours a UK? Wonder why mines worse? Must be the weather up'norf I fitted a brand new and shiny tow bar last year and thats already pitted with flaky rust!

Looks like the wire brush and underseal will have to come out

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yup UK....Must ahve led a sheltered life But I don't think the undersealing is that brilliant. Its all flaked off round the inside of wheel arches.

Front lower arms look a bit rusty on the seams though, but they'll probably get replaced when the ball joints need doing (if ever ).
Old 30 May 2006, 11:19 PM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yup UK....Must ahve led a sheltered life But I don't think the undersealing is that brilliant. Its all flaked off round the inside of wheel arches.

Front lower arms look a bit rusty on the seams though, but they'll probably get replaced when the ball joints need doing (if ever ).
Just treated it tonight to a spot of hammerite rust remover. Worked reasonably well. I'll give it a coat of underseal tommorow. After that bollox to it!