Notices

MAF meter limitations

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 06:44 PM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF meter limitations

Hi guys, bit of a different question for you here.

Currently my girlfriends car is going under extensive modification, it's a Volvo S40 T4 (some of you may have seen it at SSO 2005)

One problem we are facing when doing the final set up (not at that stage yet just pre-empting this issue) is that the MAF meter on the car limits the power to around 400bhp, I'm not 100% clued up on why this is howeverer.

The first thought was to fit one from the T5 engine in the larger volvo's, this is not possible though as the T5's all use Bosch MAF meters with Bosch ECU's, whereas the T4 is a Siemens ECU and Denso MAF meter.

So, it turns out that scooby's use Denso MAF meters as well.

What are the horsepower limitations of the Scooby's MAF meters, I assume as both are Denso meters then they should be compatible on the T4 if I were to use a scooy one on it, and there are definately Subarus running over 400 bhp, I realise some will be on standalone systems that use MAP sensors but I assume cars such as Andy Forrests, which still uses a Power FC etc, still uses a MAF meter?

Any info on the limitations of the meter, and how to increase the capacity of it (fitting it in a larger pipe etc? ) would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of any snags in compatability issues we might have that would also be great to know about.

Thanks

Ross
Old 29 May 2006, 06:47 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The maf sensors from the V3 sti onwards should be good for about 500bhp

banny
Old 29 May 2006, 07:21 PM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers

500 was the target, injectors, internals, and turbo have all been based on 500 bhp, whether we get there or not is another matter and I'm never one to beat a chest until theres some solid results to back it up but fingers crossed.

Seeing as I have a Ver4 Sti Type R I better get one soon before she steals mine then lol.

Anyone have any thoughts on compatability issues? or will the fact its a Denso replacing a Denso be fine as far as that goes?

Ross
Old 30 May 2006, 09:50 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if Denso and UNISIA JECS are two names for the same firm, but most of my electrics (a MY98 WRX) are the latter, I've not noticed any Denso on it anywhere. Anyway, I'm no expert on this, but I have heard that the 'F' label MAFs are ok up to 300bhp or just over and once beyond this you're better to upgrade to a Nissan 300ZX (Z32) MAF, which is pretty cheap and drops straight in with just a bit of a wire swap and you're there.

On my Power FC I'm seeing almost the full 5 volts MAF output at 1.4 bar of boost.