Notices

Facelift intercooler on early classic, throttle body too long?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 08:13 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Facelift intercooler on early classic, throttle body too long?

Thought I'd start fitting the larger intercooler last night, whipped the old one out (getting good at this now, 5 minute job ).. Removed the raer drivers side bracket from the gearbox (as its in the way) and test fitted the intercooler..

Now straight away I can see a big problem, the throttle body obviously protrudes a lot further out from the inlet then it does on the face lift model, with the i/c inlet hose lined up with the turbo outlet the I/C outlet is fouling the throttle body by about 5mm and it wouldnt be possible to use a longer Y Piece as the intercooler is already too close to the bulk head.

How have people got around this?? I assume a shorter TB is the answer, but they are completely different (idle speed contoller is on the TB, and I cant see the TPS??)

Last edited by [Davey]; 26 May 2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 26 May 2006, 09:58 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fitted a newage 2002 IC onto my classic which is a lot bigger than the facelift one you are fitting and I found out that most people cut the throttle body with a hacksaw.

You don't need to cut much off, a diagional cut is best taking about 1cm off the top of the throttle body opening but leaving the entire lip at the bottom. The opening on the IC may need to be cut back too.

Crude I know but it is soft and easily cut, just have be very careful that you clean up all the metal dust from the inlet so that it doesn't enter your engine (obviously the throttle will be closed when you do the cutting).

To fit the newage IC I also needed to shorten the clutch fluid reservoir (easy) and also bash down a few parts of the engine brace underneath the IC.

Perhaps this is not necessary for the facelift IC.

I did a write up on my modification that was detailed enough and I think there is a good one by 911 in the projects section
Old 26 May 2006, 10:03 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...cooler+classic

lots of photos missing now
Old 26 May 2006, 10:03 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The face lift one gives a few mm clearance from the clutch fluid resoviour, its just the tb thats in the way, I'll take some photos this weekend if I get a chance, at the time it didnt look like 1cm would give enough clearence either
Old 26 May 2006, 12:19 PM
willgill
Scooby Regular

as i said in the other thread you need to hack and bash the Y shaped metal above the engine mount, at the moment I'd imagine your IC is flush with the dashboard side of the car (terminology isnt my strong point!), once you do that the rear IC Y piece will stop fowling on it and you will find with a little bit of persuasion the whole IC will suddenly pop into place, then its a question of squeezing the samco hoses into place, I found working the hose onto the throttle body worked best, really wiggle it onto the TB as much as possible then get the IC into place. Once you have removed the offending bodywork it will become a much more realistic task
Old 26 May 2006, 12:22 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

There is enough room between the bulk head and TB as it stands (its not a newage i/c), so once the tb and ic have been cut down there should be loads of room..

To be honest I'm slightly dubious about cutting up the TB! lol might just call it a day and stick with the standard i/c!
Old 26 May 2006, 12:24 PM
willgill
Scooby Regular

hehe wimp

get a FMIC thats even more fun, nearly needed stitches after my inner wing was cut to razor sharp proportions and my arm argued with it
Old 26 May 2006, 12:31 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Not a wimp, just as its running standard boost the benefits dont out weigh the effort
Old 26 May 2006, 04:08 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
There is enough room between the bulk head and TB as it stands (its not a newage i/c), so once the tb and ic have been cut down there should be loads of room..

To be honest I'm slightly dubious about cutting up the TB! lol might just call it a day and stick with the standard i/c!

You canget secondhand TB's from ebay quite cheap sometimes, no need to worry. But if you are running standard boost and not had any problems with det then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 26 May 2006, 04:11 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Trouble is the later TB's are completely different
Old 26 May 2006, 04:19 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Here a picture of the throttle body mod, similar to what Ive done in the past.
Btw its not my picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...a/DSCF0675.jpg

The later tps are 3 pin. I believe an extra micro switch can be added, something to with throttle closed position?
Hence why the early tps are 4 pin.
Old 26 May 2006, 04:38 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Interesting, didnt think to cut further back into the TB!