Notices

Can the airflow resonator be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2006, 12:29 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the airflow resonator be removed?

As title can the item below be removed and replaced with some straight through pipe? Is it worth removing it for a smoother airflow? Also are the other pipes that connect to it just breathers and as such can just vent into the atmosphere?

Old 25 May 2006, 12:34 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

Do you mean the resonator that is in the front wing?

I removed the resonator on my 99 classic, picked up some metal hose from halfords and fed is straight in to the air box is was the right size and made a good seal. then removed the plastic below the indicator and fed the pipe straight to it! Ram induction for £7.99

What year is your car? If you want to see what I have done we can meet up if you want, where you there on Sunday for the run to SN live?

Damocell
Old 25 May 2006, 04:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
As title can the item below be removed and replaced with some straight through pipe? Is it worth removing it for a smoother airflow? Also are the other pipes that connect to it just breathers and as such can just vent into the atmosphere?

yes you can.. iirc the diameter on one end is different to the other though, and you need another connection for the idle valve and the boost solenoid breather can be just vented to atmosphere.

Simon..
Old 25 May 2006, 04:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

oh and the Apexi induction kit for example comes with a nice adaptor to do just this.
Old 25 May 2006, 05:50 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Damocell
Hi Mate,

Do you mean the resonator that is in the front wing?

I removed the resonator on my 99 classic, picked up some metal hose from halfords and fed is straight in to the air box is was the right size and made a good seal. then removed the plastic below the indicator and fed the pipe straight to it! Ram induction for £7.99

What year is your car? If you want to see what I have done we can meet up if you want, where you there on Sunday for the run to SN live?

Damocell
I was there for the run up to SN Live mate. White classic. I should be at the Carbrook meet if you are there I would be interested to have a look at what you have done.
Old 25 May 2006, 05:51 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
yes you can.. iirc the diameter on one end is different to the other though, and you need another connection for the idle valve and the boost solenoid breather can be just vented to atmosphere.

Simon..
Cheers m8. I didn't realise one was for the ICV. I am sceptical about fitting an induction kit. Is the Apexi one a dry filter?
Old 25 May 2006, 10:07 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Yeah should be there mate, it was so easy to do, just removed the arch liner, removed the box and cable tied the pipe in place.

I was the silver classic for the run upto SN Live

Damocell
Old 25 May 2006, 11:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yeah one is the ICV.. you can however remove the oil breathers and use one of those pipe connections on the induction pipe..

Apexi is a dry filter.

Simon
Old 26 May 2006, 04:14 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Apexi is a dry kit as Simon says. Here's a dodgy pic of mine:

I have an MRT Inlet Plenum pipe for sale if you'd like it. It's ideal to use with std airbox setups.

"Suitable for 1993 to 1996 Subaru Imprezas. Also early model Legacy Turbos. It replaces the standard factory plastic resonator part which is quite restrictive to airflow. Although a small increase in induction noise may be heard, low end torque and high RPM throttle response will be significantly improved. Made completely from steel with powder coated black finish." Retail price is £65 but I'll take £25 delivered.

Old 26 May 2006, 05:33 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
I have an MRT Inlet Plenum pipe for sale if you'd like it. It's ideal to use with std airbox setups.

"Suitable for 1993 to 1996 Subaru Imprezas. Also early model Legacy Turbos. It replaces the standard factory plastic resonator part which is quite restrictive to airflow. Although a small increase in induction noise may be heard, low end torque and high RPM throttle response will be significantly improved. Made completely from steel with powder coated black finish." Retail price is £65 but I'll take £25 delivered.
As long as the ICV can be connected straight onto it then I will take it mate.

Paypal ok?
Old 26 May 2006, 07:15 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
The Apexi is a dry kit as Simon says. Here's a dodgy pic of mine:

Where can i get some of that invisible FMIC pipe to my TB please
Old 26 May 2006, 08:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Subaru put it there for a reason so exercise caution.
Contrary to Scooby Net myth, removing the inner wing snorkle on its own can result in reduced performance. The same may be true for the resonator box you refer to.
Old 26 May 2006, 08:11 PM
fulla
Scooby Regular

if gatecrasher3 does not take the mrt inlet i will take it
cheers
Old 26 May 2006, 08:23 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Contrary to Scooby Net myth, removing the inner wing snorkle on its own can result in reduced performance. The same may be true for the resonator box you refer to.
Are you aware of any negative effects of the MRT Inlet?
Old 26 May 2006, 08:35 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Is THIS any good??
Old 27 May 2006, 12:45 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

what makes you think this Harvey?

My thoughts and findings on it are that it purely removes the intake noise to try and make the engine quieter.. standard intake hides the sound of the standard DV and no induction raw. Hence it being called a resonator by everyone, I fail to see how a straight reducer can produce less performance than a resonating silencer.. not that the resonator probably restricts the flow much at all.

Although I am refering to the resonator rather than the snorkle.

Simon
Old 27 May 2006, 02:30 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A note of caution. When removing the intake resonator and ram-air scoop (new-age) I wouldn't recommend installing ducting from the front of the car directly to the airbox. The few people I have known do this have had large amounts of water, oil and dirt fed directly into the intake, overwhelming the filter and killing MAF's. It runs fine with the air being allowed into the bottom of the wing (I have opened up an area behind the mock triangular vents beside the foglight on my WRX) and the airbox drawing its air from the top, keeping all the crap down low.
I believe Harvey has just done some testing on a RR with several filters both with and without the resonator fitted. He concluded that its removal can actually reduce power by upto 10bhp, which I found very surprising. I intend to replicate a similar test myself on my 03 WRX PPP fairly soon, as I like the way the car runs without the res, but wouldn't want to sacrifice any ponies.

Last edited by corradoboy; 27 May 2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 27 May 2006, 04:16 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

GC3 : By the MRT inlet, do you mean the silicon inlet tract that goes under the inlet manifold for front entry. they work well IF that is what you are referring to. No negative feed back other than that getting the O/E Subaru item off is a PITA.

white : Whether that works or not, I do not know. Why not stick with the snorkle.

Simon : I am referring to the snorkle and I know from rolling road tests that the STi 3 Wagon lost 10 bhp when the snorkle was removed. This result was contrary to my expectations. The power was restored when the snorkle was put back on. The tests were conclusive.
There was no DET with the snorkle in place but on the open road with it removed, the knock link was sparkly. This was also seen on the rollers and a pannel air filter test had to be abandoned. Cured by refitting the snorkle.

I think the air flow past the MAF sensor with the snorkle removed was so upset that problems occurred.

As removal of resonator box will have an effect on the air flow passing the MAF Sensor, excercise extreme caution.
Old 27 May 2006, 05:58 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Simon : I am referring to the snorkle and I know from rolling road tests that the STi 3 Wagon lost 10 bhp when the snorkle was removed. This result was contrary to my expectations. The power was restored when the snorkle was put back on. The tests were conclusive.
There was no DET with the snorkle in place but on the open road with it removed, the knock link was sparkly. This was also seen on the rollers and a pannel air filter test had to be abandoned. Cured by refitting the snorkle.
Could it not have been that if the airflow was increased and without a remap the engine was simply running lean?

I am due for a remap next month. If the item theotherphil has for sale could provide an increase in power/torque/driveability over the standard resonator then it would be a worthwhile purchase.

You mention removal of the resonator causing a change in the airflow through the MAF but will that really be a negative change? The MAF will still be able to meter the air correctly surely but perhaps the fuelling would need adjustment?
Old 27 May 2006, 10:44 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

No. The AFRs dropped into the 10s and then off the scale with the snorkle removed when they were previously nearer my target at full boost. Clearly air flow was disturbed sufficient to cause problems and after careful assessment of the situation it was not a mapping issue as such. In any case the ECU on an STi 3 cannot be remapped.

All I have said is exercise caution. To come to the conclusions above involved lots of monitoring equipment and two full half days on a rolling road.

You mention removal of the resonator causing a change in the airflow through the MAF but will that really be a negative change? The MAF will still be able to meter the air correctly surely but perhaps the fuelling would need adjustment?
If you can monitor accurately what happens you will find out whether what happens is positive or negative.
In the meantime, exercise care. I thought I was adding power and improving already slightly rich AFRS. That is what I thought. With careful checking the reallity was exactly the opposite of what I wanted to achieve. I found what I thought was positive was in reality negative.

I have already found that small changes in the way the air goes to or from the MAF sensor can have quite signifigant effects on the ECU map.

I should also thank Steve Simpson for letting me use his rollers at TEG Sport for the development work which was the original intention when all this came about.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:38 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

I'm not in anyway knocking what you are saying at all. I am grateful for your input and you have certainly given me a lot to think about. It certainly is strange that something that would seemingly improve airflow could produce a negative effect.
Old 28 May 2006, 12:28 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

i've removed the inner wing one, and the chamber on the inlet is now HKS'd. No problems during mapping.

Get back to your nova
Old 28 May 2006, 10:37 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
i've removed the inner wing one, and the chamber on the inlet is now HKS'd. No problems during mapping.

Get back to your nova
Well what can I say with that kind of conclusive proof
Old 28 May 2006, 12:41 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Better than PS Lewis could've done
Old 28 May 2006, 01:38 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

oh you talking about the snorkle..
Old 28 May 2006, 02:20 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Gatecrasher3: YHPM

If you are getting a remap, the car will be setup to take into account of any changes to the inlet system. Replacing the resonator box was a worthwhile change for me....many small mods with small gains add up to a big gain in the end.

The reason I removed it is bacause I have since went to an Apexi induction kit which includes their own version of the MRT item anyway.
Old 02 September 2006, 03:37 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to reopen this but will removal of the resonator from within the inner wing and replacing it with the intake elbow

whilst leaving all original parts the same (ie snorkel)

surely that will aid air flow a little cos the flow does not have to go round so many corners, increase the likelihood of air being cooler and thirdly still be within the MAF's ability to adjust the fuelling etc.

someone must have tried just this on a newage?
Old 02 September 2006, 09:57 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I fitted one to my car a few weeks ago and haven't noticed a drop in performance. The turbo whistle sounds a bit louder, but no perceivable increase in performance either.

It's supplied with a foam washer so there's a tight fit in to the airbox, preventing any hot air being sucked in from the engine bay. There's no chance of water getting in through the wing either.

Cheers

Anders

PS If you're going to buy one from the US, don't use slowboy racing. They really live up to their name...it took four months to get mine

Originally Posted by dynamix
sorry to reopen this but will removal of the resonator from within the inner wing and replacing it with the intake elbow

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/graph...1/GPM11304.jpg

whilst leaving all original parts the same (ie snorkel)

surely that will aid air flow a little cos the flow does not have to go round so many corners, increase the likelihood of air being cooler and thirdly still be within the MAF's ability to adjust the fuelling etc.

someone must have tried just this on a newage?
Old 02 September 2006, 10:12 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

Well I have removed my resonator on 2 classics and just let the cooler air go to the airbox with no pipe, its abit louder and seems to run fine. As for the cone filters i see in this thread they are just sucking in hot air which is ****e
Old 03 September 2006, 07:43 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
I fitted one to my car a few weeks ago and haven't noticed a drop in performance. The turbo whistle sounds a bit louder, but no perceivable increase in performance either.

It's supplied with a foam washer so there's a tight fit in to the airbox, preventing any hot air being sucked in from the engine bay. There's no chance of water getting in through the wing either.

Cheers

Anders

PS If you're going to buy one from the US, don't use slowboy racing. They really live up to their name...it took four months to get mine
Thanks Anders

I am not after increased performance just cooler air so that the engine runs safer, it could then be potentially mapped to take advantage of this I guess.

Turbo sound effects are optional but welcome

Quick Reply: Can the airflow resonator be removed?