Head gasket failure

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 10:55 PM
drewruberry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket failure

Hi,

With the engine running i noticed coolent coming from the radiator cap so if took of the radiator cap (really Carefully) and found that the water is bubbling but not lots. When i rev the car the water gets sucked away and then comes bubbling out.

I also checked the oil pressure gauge and its reads at 90 psi at start up and moves up and down between 40 and 90 psi i take it that that is not normal.

So is it my head gasket going and is it an exspensive then to replace and is there anything i should think of gettin done while the head gasket is being done or should i consider a engine swap.

Drew
Old 25 May 2006, 07:22 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow down.

Take the car for a good blast when hot. Does the heater blow cold when the setting is HOT?
If yes:
Open the bonnet straight after the blast. Look at the small tall yellow-topped filler tube right in front of the battery. Are there bubbles at the bottom? If yes:
Is there a spray of radiator coolant about the same area as (2) or even down the nearside of the car? If yes:
Your head gasket(s) are fooked.

The condition you see in the large header tank on the inlet manifold is normal.

There are several people to fix the gaskets, I used David at www.apiengines.com but he is in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.

You can remove the engine quite readily, and take the loose engine to him, collect later. They have done literally hundreds of engines. This manner, expect a bill for about £300 but you need to discuss it all with him. Or take the car there for 2 weeks and collect!

He is a bull **** free zone, so feel at ease.

Please tell him '911' sent you...hope he won't charge you more!

As you can see, I've been there...

Graham

Last edited by 911; 25 May 2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 25 May 2006, 08:04 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

If the water is being sucked away (by the water pump) when you rev it you s hould be fine, if there is a HG leak into the cooling system then it should be pressurised when you rev the engine causing water to spurt out.
Old 25 May 2006, 10:24 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Originally Posted by [Davey]
If the water is being sucked away (by the water pump) when you rev it you s hould be fine, if there is a HG leak into the cooling system then it should be pressurised when you rev the engine causing water to spurt out.

That would depend on how badly the gasket has failed, and it may not show by just reving the engine off boost.

If coolant is leaking from the "filler cap", the first thing I would do is check the cap. The caps have a double seal, and if the rad is over pressurised the first spring seal breaks, and water goes to the expansion tank.

Caps can, and do go weak, so firstly I would inspect the cap for anything obvious, and then see if you can borrow another one to try.

Also try 911's test, but check the cap first.

Mark.
Old 25 May 2006, 01:14 PM
Scooby Regular

Sorry:
Mark is dead right, i did and it was perfect, forgot to add that.
Check the simple bits first......

Graham
Old 27 May 2006, 12:23 PM
drewruberry
Scooby Regular

Checked and i get warm air all the time. I also checked the pipes last night coming from the top of the radiator and notcied that it was rock hard but its not always rock hard i can usually squeeze it but today after a run i can squeeze it in. Also there is no bubbling in the yellow tank on the passanger side.

Another funny thing has started to happen last night i was sitting in 5th gear and just excellerated and the car started to judder like it was being starved of petrol it juddered about 4 or 5 times then it stalled i was doing about 80 or 90 mph so i pulled into slow lane and started the car up again and it was fine.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Drew
Old 27 May 2006, 02:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really easy way is to get a little methane pen meter, open up the coolant header tank and place just inside.
If it registers any methane then yes, your head gasket has gone.
Easiest way IMHO but it does sound like your car has either
1. an air block
2. head gasket failure which would also show air getting into the system.

Tony