strange - centre section doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 10:25 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange - centre section doesn't fit

Hi all,

Just thought I might see if anyone can shed any light on the following: got a nice new Milltek centre section at Japfest, and tried to fit it yesterday to my UK MY99 Turbo Wagon.
When bolted to the rear section and hanging with the rubber mounts nice and vertical, I get a gap between it and the (standard) downpipe:

When the centre is then attatched to the downpipe, the centre and rear hangers are stretched forwards, and the back box fouls the rear anti-roll bar:

Hence it appears to be too short!!
Been in contact with Milltek MD Phil Millington, who seemed very helpful and is calling me back tomorrow after looking into this. He confirmed they are made on a jig so there should be very little variation in size, but he also said this is not unheard of.
Has anyone here any experience of anything similar? Are there any differences in classic exhausts?

Many thanks, Richard.

Last edited by Rich_B; 23 May 2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:03 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always thought all classic exhausts were indeed the same,saloon and wagon........ until i purchased a straight through center section and a miltek rear silencer off here some time last year,when fitted to the car the exhaust was way too long,the rear silencer sat right up against the rear valence tightly,refitted the standard resonated center section (jap spec wrx wagon) and it was fine,so had to be the enter section that was at fault,has a section cut and shut out of it to make it fit in the end,so it would seemthey are not all created equal.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:10 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found the OEM stuff all seems to be the same fitment regardless of age (albeit one of the rear hangers is in a different position)..