Notices

which oil and coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 09:41 PM
spitfiredealer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which oil and coolant?

just about to do a oil and coolant change on a 94 WRX STI was wondering if there was any preferred types to use?
Old 21 May 2006, 09:41 AM
Mark00024
Scooby Regular

Hi mate I have realy looked into this and if you did a search many people will have diffrent opinions but mine is to just stick with what Subaru recomend. Which is Shell Helix. Cant remember the grade I think its 5-40. Best thing to do is ring Subaru. Coame to the decision that the Japs new their stuff when building these thngs.
Old 21 May 2006, 09:43 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Any good quality 10W40 sinthetic oil will do; Millers, Redline and Motul are equally popular

Use a genuine Subaru filter (they're cheap enough!) and prefill it...which will take a few minutes to properly fill (while the filter media soaks up the oil), worth doing while the old oil is draining from the sump

Don't what ever you do use engine flush, just drain the oil while the engine is stil warm after a run.

If you can be bothered, I strongly feel it's worth reducing the load on the engine when you crank it over for the first time after an oil change. To do this you need to disconnect the crank and cam position sensors to stop the engine firing and pumping fuel in. The cam sensor is mounted on the N/S head at the top, it's bolted to a cast lug right at the front of the head, in the top corner, grey connector, on a brown coloured sensor. The crank sensor is righ in the middle of the enging, underneath the alternator, just behind where the timing marks are moulded into the cam belt covers, again a grey connector on a brown sensor. Once the oil is filled (around 4.5 litres) and the senors disconnected turn the engine over on the ignition switch until the little red oil can light goes out. Your oil pump has now pumped the oil round and got the engine up to minimum pressure, now you can reconnect the sensor and fire the engine up...some people call this proceedure ****, I call it a good idea if you want to increase the life of your engine

As for coolant, you want to put in around 2/3 anti freeze and top off with water. I tend to use a full 5 litre container and then top up with fresh water. Go for a good quality bluecol coolant. Nowt wrong with Halfords own tbh. To fill the coolant system a good way to ensure there are no air pockets is to fill the system through the turbo bearing coolant feed (the pipe that comes off the header tank going to the turbo), with the header tank pressure cap removed (probably already done when you drained the coolant - disconnect the bottom rad hose on the N/S from the rad to do this) disconnect the hose from the header tank, stick a funnel in it and start slowly filling...it will take a while, but it is worth it, the system is full once coolant starts to brim the header tank cap orifice.

For the consumables I use ASP Trading or Zen Performance

Last edited by Tim W; 21 May 2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:22 AM
spitfiredealer
Scooby Regular

Default Cheers!

Thanks alot for the advice i'll be off down halfords as soon as drag my sorry *** out of bed! Once again thanks alot!
Old 21 May 2006, 01:37 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Use the correct summer mix of coolant, not a strong mix of it. Nucleated boiling carries the heat away from liners, too much coolant inhibits this