boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 08:21 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost issues

just installed a boost gauge and now i think i have problems
i'm not sure if i have just installed it incorrectly or my scoob isn't making the correct boost?

I have a uk spec MY99, it has an induction kit (yes i know!) and a full decat

i have taken the boost feed for the sensor from the spare outlet on the inlet manifold, is this correct?

when driving the car it wont go past 0.6bar but i thought it should hit at least 0.9bar,

i've not had a boost gauge before so am unsure what i should be looking for really, there seems to be lots of movement of the needle under 0bar droping as low as -0.7bar? how can this be, surely if there is a neg showing then it's sucking and not pushing am i being completely stupid please someone enlighten me,

Oh i have a leak at the turbo as well (sheared stud when fitting decat) not got round to doing it yet! would this cause issues

If i need to clean the boost solenoid where is it please
Old 20 May 2006, 08:40 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

First thing first fix the leak, you know thats not right so get everything right first and then if you still have problems then go on from there. You will probably find this is causing a low boost reading as you will have low back pressure.
The negative reading is nothing to worry about, it just means the car is not being driven on boost (usually cruising conditions with constant acceleration) it is normal
Old 20 May 2006, 08:55 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

ok cheers,

that means turbo off though! not looking forward to that!
Old 20 May 2006, 09:06 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
i have taken the boost feed for the sensor from the spare outlet on the inlet manifold, is this correct?
Yep, this is taking the pressure of the air actually entering the engine, downstream of the throttle butterfly.

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
there seems to be lots of movement of the needle under 0bar droping as low as -0.7bar? how can this be
The guage shows pressure *relative to atmospheric pressure*. When the throttle is (nearly) closed, the engine is creating a partial vacuum downstream of the throttle butterfly, hence the negative pressure relative to atmospheric.

Richard.