Notices

oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2006, 10:22 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge

Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how to fit these. It looks fairly straight forward but where am i meant to put the pressure sender for the oil pressure gauge.. Any advice on how to put these in would be really appreciated. The instructions that came with them don't really seem to help!!
thanks
Pete
Old 03 May 2006, 10:43 PM
gazza19800sti1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up gauges

scooby mania do the fitting kits thats where i got mine from , because sender for oil pressure is big , i believe oil temp at rear near breathers but you need a fitting , then some peoople use the original oil pressure switch take off , but be reminded no oil light then ... unless you kind of tee it off into two ... i got rid of the original oil pressure sender as defi s have a warning beep when the drop ... ask for lee i believe ... gazza
Old 03 May 2006, 11:52 PM
madmoog
Scooby Regular

Speak to Paul at Zen, they did a remote take off for mine to avoid clearance problems with the alternator and kept the original low presure switch (not that it's any use but to tell you your engine has just been phuqed). Wasn't an expensive conversion either.
Old 04 May 2006, 12:18 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

ebay have sandwich plates for oil filter with takeoffs for both, only about 20quid i think.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:42 AM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

I've wondered about the oil filter sandwich plates. It seems to me to be a less than optimal place for either. The oil has been in the sump cooling before the pump picks it up and sends it to the oil filter. Measuring pressure between the oil pump and the filter will result in measuring the back pressure caused by the filter element. Now, all this may be negligible. Just my thoughts. Feel free to let me know if I’m too **** or simply wrong.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:24 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_classicwrx
Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how to fit these. It looks fairly straight forward but where am i meant to put the pressure sender for the oil pressure gauge.. Any advice on how to put these in would be really appreciated. The instructions that came with them don't really seem to help!!
thanks
Pete
if you look at this thread says were i did mine from
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=507517

also this is a pic of mine pressure sender circled in red its attached to intercooler arm.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:32 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type36lotus
I've wondered about the oil filter sandwich plates. It seems to me to be a less than optimal place for either. The oil has been in the sump cooling before the pump picks it up and sends it to the oil filter. Measuring pressure between the oil pump and the filter will result in measuring the back pressure caused by the filter element. Now, all this may be negligible. Just my thoughts. Feel free to let me know if I’m too **** or simply wrong.
Not convinced about the temperature argument... You could put it on the return from the turbo and have a totally misleading reading, likewise you could put it after an oil cooler and again be mislead. I think the sump can be considered the 'main body' of oil in the engine and can be safely used as an indication of how things are going.

With you on the filter causing back pressure argument... but I think that the filter is fed through the center and returns around the periphery which is where the take-offs are, so the take-off is post filter.

Hope this helps, or at least muddies the water a bit more, in traditional SN style.