Notices

same old question but so many answers

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2006, 04:39 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same old question but so many answers

i have fitted Roger Clarke lightened flywheel, exedy organic clutch, lightened front pulleys, heat wrapped feral race manifold, full decat scoobysport exhaust, green panel filter on a 98 sti type ra with 25,000 miles
Now, do i need uprated fuel pump? new ecu & remap? what else to protect this engine as all i hear is engines letting go!!! worried Steve
Old 01 May 2006, 06:26 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Mate,

You haven't done anything which requires an increase in fuel, so wouldn't worry about a fuel pump for now.

A new ecu might be your next step. If you go for something like an Apexi Power Fc, it will maximise the mods you have made so far as well as 'future proofing' for any further mods you might want to add later.

A modified oil pump might be a good idea, classic sti's suffer from big end bearing failure often caused by poor oil supply.

Hope this helps

Dave
Old 01 May 2006, 06:32 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Nice one Dave thanks i was told to get an uprated fuel pump and regulator by API but i suppose everyone is trying to sell you something but the uprated oil pump sounds good advice Ta! ill try Dave Clarke for that
Old 01 May 2006, 06:47 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

I would have thought the uprated fuel pump and reg would come later but API doesn't normally give out duff info so I wouldn't disregard his advice totally. He's a professional and i'm just an enthusiast!!

Enjoy the car

Dave
Old 02 May 2006, 12:50 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveo
Mate,

You haven't done anything which requires an increase in fuel, so wouldn't worry about a fuel pump for now.

A new ecu might be your next step. If you go for something like an Apexi Power Fc, it will maximise the mods you have made so far as well as 'future proofing' for any further mods you might want to add later.

A modified oil pump might be a good idea, classic sti's suffer from big end bearing failure often caused by poor oil supply.

Hope this helps Dave
Not quite right there !!

By increasing the intake air by using an induction kit AND removing the gases faster through the exhaust the fuelling will be way off !!

An import is looking for 100 Octane anyway and is already liable to det because of the poor octane match. All you have done is make that situation worse.

You DO need a better fuel pump and a remap ASAP if you are to keep your original engine safe. A'Pexi Power FC would be my choice.

The oil pumps are fine - no sign of poor oil supply. The crank problems are caused by det, involve no.3 cylinder more often than not and are a result of 3 being at the far end of a one ended fuel rail system, heat from the turbo and also being as far as you be in engine terms from the oil and water supply.

The oil pumps once blueprinted for want of a word, by us go back on almost all of our rebuilt engines and cause no problems. We've only ever fitted single figures of oil pumps in over 850 plus rebuilds in 5 1/2 years.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 02 May 2006, 05:29 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

I'll get my coat.........

Dave
Old 02 May 2006, 06:10 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said mate - no offence meant. David

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2006, 07:07 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone (both Daves) will take advice after speaking to Dave (api) on phone today when engine is fully connected up again i will take it to api and get uprated fuel pump, parallel fuel rail and A'pexi power FC. On my short stint on this site i can say API seem to really know their stuff and no bullsh*t just good advice.