Notices

Overboosting?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2006, 05:51 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overboosting?

Hy car was mapped to 1.2bar but my data monitor is showing a peak of 1.3bar and often goes over the 1.25bar alarm threshold I set.

It seems to do it mostly when accelerating hard in 4th and 5th.

Is this normal and if not, what are the risks (eg. should I get my *** to Powerstation asap)?

Old 29 April 2006, 06:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
Hy car was mapped to 1.2bar but my data monitor is showing a peak of 1.3bar and often goes over the 1.25bar alarm threshold I set.

It seems to do it mostly when accelerating hard in 4th and 5th.

Is this normal and if not, what are the risks (eg. should I get my *** to Powerstation asap)?

Hi mate,

Is it happening in the evening by any chance? If so, It's most likely just a case of the cooler/denser air giving you slightly higher boost. It's only .5 over the peak target and its not hitting a fuel cut, which I assume Rich would have mapped to come in at some point, so doesn't sound serious at all to me (though I'm anything but an expert). Do you have a knocklink, any increase in activity?

Give them a bell to be on the safe side though. If in doubt, just keep it off boost till you can consult PS.

Ns04
Old 29 April 2006, 07:15 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

It does it at all times of the day TBH, it doesn't cut the fuel but the CEL does come on sometimes, displaying different errors (camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction and an engine misfire (EGT), for example).

I don't have a knocklink but the Knock Correction value hasn't been higher than 10 degrees (I assume this is the same info as a knocklink?).
Old 29 April 2006, 07:38 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

It does it at all times of the day TBH, it doesn't cut the fuel but the CEL does come on sometimes, displaying different errors (camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction and an engine misfire (EGT), for example).

I don't have a knocklink but the Knock Correction value hasn't been higher than 10 degrees (I assume this is the same info as a knocklink?).
I'm pretty sure 10 degrees of correction is very high, think it should be around 0 or 1-2 at worst, sure Danny only seen a couple of degrees of correction even with broken MAF, i'd definatly give power station a call if i were you.
Old 29 April 2006, 07:56 PM
New_scooby_04

That's strange mate, I'd get that looked into.

Btw. KL doesn't give that data, just LEDs to warn if if any knock is occurring!

Keep it off boost till you can speak to PS would be my advice.

Ns04
Old 29 April 2006, 08:09 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.
Rich,

Rich at powerstation normaly sets the boost between 1.25 & 1.3 bar, but i would still give him a call just to make sure, drop fuzz a pm with the data you have so far, he may be able to advise you,.

John

Ps What was the score..
Old 29 April 2006, 08:31 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bigbrakes
Rich,

Rich at powerstation normaly sets the boost between 1.25 & 1.3 bar, but i would still give him a call just to make sure, drop fuzz a pm with the data you have so far, he may be able to advise you,.

John

Ps What was the score..
Didn't think about PM'ing Fuzz, good point.

What score........?

Eeeerm, it might have been 3-0 to The Chelsea Rent Boys.

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2006, 09:22 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Rich, As dean has said, I was only getting 1.5-2.5 of KC on the Secs when I had a knackered Maf, Since i've changed the Maf I've had nothing and nothing showing on my Knocklink as well.

Kev was getting 9.0 on his and was suffering from det
Old 29 April 2006, 10:40 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I found this info on the ecutek website. It makes me feel a little better and explains a couple of things because I reset my ecu yesterday which means the ignition advance is "re-learning" (currently at 12 degrees) which in turn is causing the knock correction to have a high positive value.

Hopefully once the IAM is up to it's maximum value of 16, the KC should return to a lower value, around 0.

All comments welcome though.......

Knock Correction.

The number of degrees added or subtracted from the ignition timing based on the amount of knock detected. Positive values are ignition advance (due to the absence of knock). Negative values are ignition retard (due to the presence of knock). These ECUs run active knock correction, and it is quite normal to see -3 to + 12 degrees of correction. Maximum power is produced on the point of knock beginning, and the sensor is there to keep the timing 'on the edge'. Some ECUs run more aggressive knock correction than others. E.g. 1999/2000 model year turbo ECUs only run 1-2 degree positive values, whereas 2001-2003 ECUs may run much more than this.

EDIT: I'd also appreciate any informed opinions on the boost peak value?

Thanks

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 29 April 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01 May 2006, 05:43 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've been out today to get used to the data monitor values and decided to test the car out.

Put it into 5th at 2k rpm's and put the pedal to the metal and let he run and run.

I won't disclose the rpm's or mph I reached but the boost warning came on again, (threshold still set at 1.25bar).

However when I stopped and checked the boost peak value it now reads 1.33bar, 0.03bar higher than the previous peak.

Is 1.33 bar abnormally high for a car mapped to 1.25bar, running a standard TD04 turbo?

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 01 May 2006 at 05:46 PM.