Notices

Desperate female needs exhaust advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2006, 08:30 PM
TINA_SUBI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate female needs exhaust advice!!

Hi all. Just bought a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2-litre Sport (NON-turbo) with lots of goodies! Disaster - just failed MOT because "EXHAUST SYSTEM NOISE IS CLEARLY IN EXCESS OF THAT EMITTED BY A SIMILAR VEHICLE FITTED WITH A STANDARD SILENCER IN AVERAGE CONDITION [7.1.2b] (Apparently the exhaust fitted at the moment is a "straight through"??). The garage told me I will need a new complete full exhaust system including CAT which will cost me approx. £1200!!!!!!! Can anyone please give me some advice as to where I go from here and whether the £1200 quote was realistic or are they trying to rip me off ???!!! Anyway, hope that someone will take pity on me and give me some honest advice.
Old 22 April 2006, 09:35 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

total rip off,you can probably get a complete standard 'Sport' exhaust for peanuts.Have a look at www.imprezasport.net im sure lots of people on there have standard systems they are trying to get shot of.Dont whatever you do pay 1200 for a standard exhaust
Old 22 April 2006, 09:50 PM
gws73
Scooby Regular

Either that or try a 'friendlier' MOT place.......
Old 23 April 2006, 09:32 AM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

they sound like a bunch of **** to me. (expect to pay around 50quid for the standard exhaust 2ndhand). The owner probably lives next to a mcdonalds lol
Old 23 April 2006, 12:56 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

could also see if someone local has one you could borrow.
post with a indication where you are (may help in the long run)
Old 23 April 2006, 01:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sounds like a "MOTs for only £25" affair...there's a reason why these MOT stations are cheaper...they make the money on the repairs by nit picking every fault. Unless it was stupidly noisy (which to be frank, some are). Either way £1200 is miles OTT - try halving that, and you can still buy a fancy stainless steel sports exhaust..

Did the car fail emissions or not? If it didn't it won't need a new cat either which'll save you a few bob too.
Old 23 April 2006, 01:13 PM
bbdp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TINA_SUBI
The garage told me I will need a new complete full exhaust system including CAT which will cost me approx. £1200!!!!!!!
I thought it was just a stereotype that Mr Mechanic picks on women cos they usually dont know enough to tell that they're being had!

Put it this way, i just had my classic turbo fitted with a full H&S decat for less than £750 so a standard non turbo exhaust should be a damn site cheaper than £1200!

Take a look on EBay or even try a local breakers, you'll definitely find one at the right price!
Old 24 April 2006, 03:22 PM
will666666
Scooby Newbie

Default If you do need the replacement parts....

Hi,
I have a 98 plate Sport and completely decatted the exhaust system. I have the standard exhaust pipework (minus backbox) and CAT if you wanted to make me an offer (if the CAT has been removed on yours, by the sounds of the extortionate quote you just got, it would be worth checking to see if the CAT has been removed on yours). If the CAT hasn't been removed and it's just the backbox that is the issue, you could easily pick up a standard sport backbox from a decent scooby breakers or even look on ebay. If you want a decent looking exhaust, you could get one fitted by topgear (who can fit whatever style you want) or rtec, who stock a good range of aftermarket exhausts.

Worse case scenario would be nowhere near the £1200 quoted.

If you need the exhaust pipework and CAT, I'd let mine go for £60, if that sound's fair?.

A decent garage would fit them for a couple of hours labour tops, including fitting the backbox.

The backbox would cost you between £20 for a standard sport one, to around £220 for a custom fitted backbox with your choice of tailpipes and exhaust note.

Hope the above helps,

Will
Old 24 April 2006, 05:12 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Three things here.

You recently bought the car so does it have a company guarantee? If so and it's failed the MOT, you may be able to claim on it.

When I buy a car, I always get a new MOT from a garage of my chosing. It's a cheap way of getting a car inspected and the cat is tested as well. If it fails, I can either negotiate with the seller or walk away. However, that's being wise after this event.

You didn't say it failed on emisions so presumably they're OK. If that's the case, you may only have a bad back box. To be fair to the tester, some of these are b***y noisy and should fail. If you really think the noise is OK, try anothet MOT place. The noise check is purely subjective. If you need to change back to standard it should be fairly cheap as the rest of the system may not have been altered.

Good luck.
Old 24 April 2006, 06:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TINA_SUBI
Hi all. Just bought a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2-litre Sport (NON-turbo) with lots of goodies! Disaster - just failed MOT because "EXHAUST SYSTEM NOISE IS CLEARLY IN EXCESS OF THAT EMITTED BY A SIMILAR VEHICLE FITTED WITH A STANDARD SILENCER IN AVERAGE CONDITION [7.1.2b] (Apparently the exhaust fitted at the moment is a "straight through"??). The garage told me I will need a new complete full exhaust system including CAT which will cost me approx. £1200!!!!!!! Can anyone please give me some advice as to where I go from here and whether the £1200 quote was realistic or are they trying to rip me off ???!!! Anyway, hope that someone will take pity on me and give me some honest advice.
Complete bollox- don't believe a word of it. Next they'll be offering to accept payment "in kind" for the replacement exhaust!! Take it somewhere else, it's a subjective test and many will pass most systems providing they are not completely OTT. If they won't, £1200 for a std system is a joke. You could get a top quality exhaust for half that!! 2nd hand std exhausts also go for peanuts 2nd hand.

Ns04
Old 24 April 2006, 06:44 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

£1200 what a joke i didn't pay that for mine and i got compete system and sports cat.
Old 24 April 2006, 07:02 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Go somewhere else to get an M.O.T.
Much cheaper!
Please don't even entertain handing over that sort of money for an exhaust system. The most you will need is a standard back-box, but many turbo owners on here own VERY LOUD cars, and they still pass.
Me thinks the garage was trying to pull your skirt down!