Notices

No horn! No electric windows! Dodgy Idle! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2006, 12:16 AM
naughty_RA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No horn! No electric windows! Dodgy Idle! Please Help!

Hi guys and gals

I'm having a few major problems with my electrical system and could really do with some help.

To cut a long story short, i'm tryng to get my MY97 WRX back on the road after wrapping my MR2 round a tree
Suffered two broken legs, a broken pelvis, a punctured lung, but worse still managed to loose my scooby keys (only one!!) alarm fob and imobiliser key (again, only ones!!!)

That was about 6 months ago and i just been given the all clear to drive (woohoo!!! ) so have got hold of a new ignition barrel, key and lock set and ive just finished ripping out my cat 1 system too.

I'm having a few problems, first off my electric windows don't work no more, i was really careful when removing the alarm and imobiliser loom so dont think i could of disconnected anything important to the windows, but they'r dead.

Also, my horn doesnt work no more, again, was pretty carefull with the wiring so what am i looking for?

And finnaly, she idling really roughly. Admitadely the tank was empty (proper empty, i had it virtually drained) and with some fresh optimax she seems much better. But just thought i'd mention it.

Oh yeah, half of the speedo dial isnt iluminated. If u whack the dash it flickers back on, but just dies again.

Please dont tell me ive managed to rip out something important

Worth mentioning, when rooting round under the dash i found a couple of loose plugs and some sockets (blue, black and grey) and when connected one of them illuminates the 'check engine' light.

she was running fine untill i had my accident, idle a bit patchy at times and a slight humming/vibrating/whisle at 3500 revs (boost or no boost) which i put down to a leaking/****e dump valve (which is next on my list).

So what do i do peeps?
please help were u can guys and gals. Ive not driven my baby for 5 months, and an MY97 RA with a big fat turbo is going to waste.

P.S I photoshoped a picy to show her with the planned graphics, what do you think?

Dave
Old 21 April 2006, 12:41 AM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

maybe a stupid suggestion but sounds like you could have a dodgy earth somewhere.. that would knock lights out but im definatly no expert on the wiring on these things!! May seem like another stupid suggestion but have you checked all the fuses??
Old 21 April 2006, 08:02 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its one part of the dash and it flickers when you hit it then the bulb is duff or lose, if it was a bad earth none of the dash components would function.

As for the horn and windows check the fuses and connectors going into the fuse box in the drivers side foot well..
Old 21 April 2006, 06:21 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Multiple weird electrical problems usually signal a bad earth somewhere. Especially if none of them seem related! Check your fuses first though.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:22 PM
naughty_RA
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys

I'm just on my way down to the garage to check whats what, gonna check all the fuses, all the conections and the fuse box in the footwell.

From memory i did disconect/cut quite a few wires in that area but they were all going back into the alarm wiring loom, but spose i could have pulled something

I suspected it might of been a loose/duff bulb that was effecting the dash, however when u put ur hand up behind the dash and twiddle with the wires it flickers on and off, so now i thinking bad earth.

If any body else has any ideas please feel free to help.

Regards
Dave
Old 22 April 2006, 12:12 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

did your alarm have automatic closure on the windows? could be that...
Old 23 April 2006, 12:50 AM
naughty_RA
Scooby Newbie

We have an update peaople

I noticed that i had two loose conectors under the dash that fitted sockets attached to a module on the inside of the removed lower dash cowl, and when plugged in bobs ur uncle - i have electric windows again

Still struggling with the horn though

Does anybody know what wires i should be looking for that come from the horn and into the loom on the steering column, i was planning on tracing them back, as i'm assuming that there is a positive and a negtive and thats pretty much it. Correct me if i'm wrong though

Regards
Dave