Notices

Advice please engine troubles!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 11:49 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advice please engine troubles!!

What started as a split inlet pipe has turned into a nightmare.
Fitted a new sillicone type hose (without removing inlet manifold ) but after car would not start!! After trying everything from fuel, sensors, coils/plugs, leaks, wireing ect..managed to start car but idle was roaming, took it for a test run off boost its running ok(bit rich on afr) but on spool up its popping, jurking,loss of throttle/power ect checked ecu and got 23 MAF 24 IACV 12?? 45?? AND 53??
I understand cleaning idle valve (code 24) and need a new maf (code 23) But why does the turbo spool (boost gauge reads up and down between 0-8psi) like pulls abit then drops popping jurking no power then boost very erratic, What is this?? Could it be caused by maf (have never had a cel when driving)so think may have damaged maf fitting new inlet pipe, would maf cause this?? What are the other codes are they related to the probs??? could there be serious damage??
Please can anyone help/advise
Old 16 April 2006, 12:01 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

sorry car is a my97uk
Old 16 April 2006, 12:07 AM
fujack103
Scooby Regular

didnt read it all but might help a little?
http://www.forparts.com/ICisubarudriveability.htm
Old 16 April 2006, 12:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Check the connector on the MAFsensor. Sounds from the symptoms like it is running with it disconnected.

Sometimes with modifed hoses/cone filters the Maf is positioned in such a way that the connector rubs on the underside of the bonnet and comes partially disconnected, giving impressive kangaroo impressions.

I also belive there is a multiplug to the main ECU loom for all the sensors you have fault codes listed located somewhere by the intercooler on the drivers side, which maybe worth checking (could have been disconnected whilst messing with the hoses?). I need to double check that though as my memory is getting bad with old age

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 April 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 16 April 2006, 12:46 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Check the connector on the MAFsensor. Sounds from the symptoms like it is running with it disconnected.

Sometimes with modifed hoses/cone filters the Maf is positioned in such a way that the connector rubs on the underside of the bonnet and comes partially disconnected, giving impressive kangaroo impressions.

I also belive there is a multiplug to the main ECU loom for all the sensors you have fault codes listed located somewhere by the intercooler on the drivers side, which maybe worth checking (could have been disconnected whilst messing with the hoses?). I need to double check that though as my memory is getting bad with old age
You could be on to something there Ali as come to think about it there was little difference with or without maf plug connected (anyone know were i can get a maf on a sunday) im starting to think 12 45 53 are fauty wireing related as have now found these..
12 starter switch (but car starts)
45 pressure exchange solenoid ???(might need clean maybe)
53 fuel pump/curcit (pump/pressure ok
Anybody help or had same probs sorted ????
this is a BIG for help !!!!
Old 16 April 2006, 08:08 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

bttt ???????
Old 16 April 2006, 10:37 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

bttt Are all the super techs still in bed!!
still for HELP
Old 16 April 2006, 10:47 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to eliminate the maf by replacing it first and then proceedindg thereon in. If maf is buggered then it will cause problems for the ecu which may explain all the other fault codes. Replace the maf first then do an ECu reset and go from there. Maf is dealer only so tTuesday is the earliest you can get one. Do this first before doing anything else. Cost is about 75 quid for the maf sensor.
Old 16 April 2006, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Check the wiring harness to all the engine sensors first, before splashing out though.
Old 16 April 2006, 11:32 AM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Check the wiring harness to all the engine sensors first, before splashing out though.
Thanks guys maf is defo knackered this morning found a crack on the side of the square block part just hope i broke it fitting inlet hose will see how it goes when changed roll on tuesday!!! it may have caused the other probs hopfully only electrical. If its been dodgy for a while and could be the cause of all or start of my probs why no cel light?????
Old 16 April 2006, 01:58 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby dancer
Thanks guys maf is defo knackered this morning found a crack on the side of the square block part just hope i broke it fitting inlet hose will see how it goes when changed roll on tuesday!!! it may have caused the other probs hopfully only electrical. If its been dodgy for a while and could be the cause of all or start of my probs why no cel light?????

ooh that will mean replacing the whole unit as oppossed to just the sensor looking at Abot 200 quid plus fitting! cel not always forced to come on with maf issues.
Old 17 April 2006, 11:53 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

right then update have today fitted a new maf car had battery removed to as was charged last night so would have reset ecu. Car just would not start checked ecu and just one code now 12(starter switch) anyone help with this ???????
Old 18 April 2006, 04:15 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

bttt Anyone help as why it will not start have reset ecu and it only has 1 code stored which is 12(starter switch) but it turns over sometimes it almost fires, fuel is getting there, coil packs/plugs are making spark all sensors look ok HELP ?????????
Old 18 April 2006, 10:06 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

bttt ?????????