Notices

Bigger replacement filter for aps

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 07:30 PM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger replacement filter for aps

I have a aps cold air inner wing kit and have been told there a bit resrictive when they get to the 400bhp mark . is this true and also what bigger filter can i fit .
Old 13 April 2006, 03:57 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I managed to get a quickshift racing steel mesh filter in there. I did however need an adaptor. Qucikshift racing also supply this and it cost me a fiver.

hth

Daz
Old 13 April 2006, 05:27 PM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

are these good filters . sound cheap
Old 13 April 2006, 05:44 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing steel mesh filters are good for is removing tea leaves from your brew!
Old 13 April 2006, 06:10 PM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

lol wont bother with that 1 then
Old 13 April 2006, 06:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

IIRC John Banks used a longer K&N filter with the APS CAK.

no restriction @400bhp with the std sized filter.

Depends on if you want 400bhp or thereabouts or well in excess of...?
Old 13 April 2006, 08:19 PM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

i'm looking for about 400bhp but dont want anything resricting me
will the aps unit be ok
Old 13 April 2006, 09:29 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I asked the same question a while back:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=tuners

Read page 1. Pages 2 and 3 are off topic.
Old 13 April 2006, 11:01 PM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

cheers bob got lost after page 1

is ther anything better for a cold air feed for 400bhp
Old 14 April 2006, 08:40 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
The only thing steel mesh filters are good for is removing tea leaves from your brew!
Clearly you're talking out of your **** mate!!

I Have done 30,000 miles at circa 360 bhp. Took the Turbo off a few weeks ago and its in superb condition. FWIW The quickshift filter was around £60 and the adaptor was a fiver. The original K&N item on the APS was too small and very restrictive. BTW dont blitz make a mesh filter too?

I suggest you stop talking bollocks and listen to someone with real world experience rather than hear say nonsense!!
Old 14 April 2006, 09:03 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

You've been lucky! If its just mesh then one day you will pick up enough particulate debris to **** your engine royally.. The particulates collect in the cylinders and deposit on the edges of the pistons wearing the ****e out of your bores. Its like adding a lttle bit of grinding compound to your cylinders.
Old 14 April 2006, 10:18 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Clearly you're talking out of your **** mate!!

I Have done 30,000 miles at circa 360 bhp. Took the Turbo off a few weeks ago and its in superb condition. FWIW The quickshift filter was around £60 and the adaptor was a fiver. The original K&N item on the APS was too small and very restrictive. BTW dont blitz make a mesh filter too?

I suggest you stop talking bollocks and listen to someone with real world experience rather than hear say nonsense!!

For you information Daz the only person i will listen to in regards to air filtration is my Brother who designs AIS for one of the leading automotive parts supplier in the world (his most recent job to go into production is the new v10 Audi S6) and I'm pretty sure has more information and test results available to him regarding filtration mediums than you will ever be privy to.

But hey its your engine....
Old 15 April 2006, 11:32 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
For you information Daz the only person i will listen to in regards to air filtration is my Brother who designs AIS for one of the leading automotive parts supplier in the world (his most recent job to go into production is the new v10 Audi S6) and I'm pretty sure has more information and test results available to him regarding filtration mediums than you will ever be privy to.

But hey its your engine....
Thats all well and good but back it up with evidence rather than my brother says this!! I am talking from my actual experience. As a result of that experience I binned the K&N item for two reasons:
1. It was restrictive.
2. The oil it was sprayed with screwed my MAF sensor.

Andy Forrest mapped my car and he didnt have anything bad to say about it. I'd prefer to use the Mesh one than some oil impregnated filter such as the K&N that eventually screws the MAF sensor and bang a whole new engine if you dont catch it in time fortunatley I did.

As for particulates and ****e going into the engine one day what utter nonsense. I am currently rebuilding the engine and when I stripped it it was as clean as a whistle. Prior to the rebuild the car was a 360bhp daily driver that had done 30,000 miles with the mesh filter on. Feel free to read my rebuild thread in the projects section.

If you are not keen on a mesh filter I'd suggest going for a dry APEXi one. I read in a magazine article months ago and it came out top of all the filters tested. It was better than the mesh ones by quite some way. I am not saying that mine's the best filter out there but what I am saying is that it does its job very very well and I am happy with it.

Hope that helps

Daz

Last edited by dazdavies; 15 April 2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 15 April 2006, 12:01 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Daz I'm by no means saying that your filter is crap! but as a rule mesh filter are not the best in the world this is backed up by countless thousands of mile and hours of testing in environments ranging form the Arctic circle to the Arizona desert. Now as you will understand this information is the property of the companies that have paid for the testing but i could certainly get you some figures as to the size and amount of particles that certain mediums will filter down too.

As in regards to the Apexi filter i totally agree they are good i used to have one but again they can be fairly restrictive as i found out when mine sucked closed while mapping at about 380bhp, i now use a large green cotton filter mounted to a custom adaptor plate (no MAF).
Old 15 April 2006, 07:15 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Ah the luxury of an ECU that bypasses the MAF my ECU (ecutek'd by Andy F) still relies on it. So does the new power FC I have in a box waiting to go on. Andy's currently working on a MAF bypass module for the Power FC i believe.

The point I am making with the filter is that at a conservative 360 bhp and after 30,000 miles in a daily driver I have had no bad symptoms due to poor filtration. I may have to bin the APS KIT when i finish my rebuild as this will be ion the region of 450 - 500bhp then we'll find out just how good the APS kit really is

Daz