Engine failures, a summary?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 11:08 AM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine failures, a summary?

Hi peeps.

I have been and agreed a price on a 1997 WRX STi 4 Type R, 35,000 miles, well looked after, all history etc etc.

Been reading the forums all morning as regards info on the car and it's all been good so far, however the engine failure threads obviously raise some concerns.

What I gather from the threads is however that:

1. Optimax and octane booster should be used for evetns like 1/4 miles, the odd track day, or if your driving spiritedly, ideally always optimax with octane booster but obviously that is an expensive habit, optimax alone for during the week, going to work etc. and a Knocklink should be fitted as soon as I get the car, it currently doesn't have one.

2. Don't rev them right to the limiter constantly, in fact, avoid doing it at all if possibel, change up about 500-750rpm before the limiter at most?

3. Oil levels? is it best to have it at the max to prevent starvation on cornering due to the unbaffled sump? or to have it half way to reduce the risk of the MAF being contaminated?

4. Use good quality oil, any recommendations? The one I am getting has always been on Millers oil for the last 3 years at least with the present owner. I was also told of an additive, I forget the name, XR1 or similar, that you can add to the oil on a change and it coats the bearings.

Basically do that, dont be constantly driving the car like a lunatic and take very good care of it, all of which I take as a given anyway, and the risk is reduced as much as possible?

The car is fitted with a fyll exhaust system and de-cat, induction is standard, and I would assume that the boost shouldnt be raised above the standard 1.1 bar even though the fuel cut is nearer 1.4, and obviously a knocklink would be something I fitted straight away.

All comments welcomed, the above is not meant as what should be done, in case the topic title sounds that way, it's all a question to see if this is the general rules I should follow as regards looking after the car.

Thanks

Ross
Old 02 April 2006, 11:47 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything you have said applies to every car, not just the Impreza..

To quote mr Lewis "Its just a normal car, with normal needs".. Use the correct fuel, use the correct oil and change it regularly, keep an eye on coolant levels etc, and service it acording to the schedule and you'll have no problems.

A lot of imprezas are bought by people who under estimate the running costs so they do not maintain them correctly and to top it off they drive it like Colin Mcrae and thus they go KABOOM.
Old 02 April 2006, 12:31 PM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Indeed, I agree that it applies to every car, the post was more to stick it all down in case I had overlooked something that I should specifically be doing as regards the maintenance.

Thanks for the reply Davey.

Ross
Old 02 April 2006, 01:40 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only extra thing I would say for peace of mind is to fit a new cam belt and idlers when you get it, that way atleast you know its actually been done
Old 02 April 2006, 02:12 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

NEVER!! add oil additives. If you want to you must first confirm it is compatable with the oil maker. Synthetic oils are built in with lots of additives anyway. Anything you add to it is most probably going to have a detrimental effect on it's protection qualities.

The maker would no doubt tell you the same thing if contacted.

Dave
Old 02 April 2006, 02:54 PM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up. It was a scooby driver that suggested it, he also works for an engine builders/engineers and has had a couple of scoobies, currently on a type R himself.

I will ensure that if I did want to add anything I'll check with the makers as you say, thanks again.

Ross
Old 02 April 2006, 03:30 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

i presume the addative in question is zx1 if it is i have heard from people in the motor trade that it is supposed to be very good (no one ever having actualy ran an engine treated with it without oil)it was apparently developed during ww1 to treat spitfire engines (in case they got shot in the engine and lost all there oil)and it is said to have enabled many such planes to return safely wether any of this is true i cannot say