Notices

Lots and lots of steam but can't find the leak!

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2006, 05:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Lots and lots of steam but can't find the leak!

My car is pouring out lots of steam from under the bonnet on the drivers side. Check the coolant level and its fine. I just can't find where its coming from.

The car seems fine and driving it a little today and temps are all OK.

One thing it might be is that I jet-washed the car a few days ago and whilst trying to remove a very stubborn seagull poo alot of water went into the bay. I'm hoping its just excess water but I would have thought it would have stopped by now.

Car is MY00 - Sorry to be vague but any ideas? What else under the car uses water?
Old 31 March 2006, 06:12 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very little else uses water in the engine?
Only other thing is the window washer maybe you have a leaky pipe in that system thats dripping water on something hot.
Keep a close eye on the coolant. A little water can make a lot of steam. Dont forget the heater is connected to the coolant system. Id run the car till it starts to steam then stop it and see if you can find the exact place the steam is generated. I once had an Audi with a tiny leak in the heater matrix. When you turned on the window de-mist the window got more misty LOL it was nearly 2 weeks before i noticed the coolant level was low!
Old 31 March 2006, 06:52 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

check the drivers side part of the radiator, they have a common fault for cracking on the end tank, drivers side. mine did the same (my98) and seemed to use no water untill one day it let go and i was lucky to notice the steam thru the bonnet vents.
Old 31 March 2006, 07:03 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water can sit on the top of the block under the inlet manifold, if you have braked or cornered hard it may have 'sloshed' over to the exhaust..
Old 31 March 2006, 11:20 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Water can sit on the top of the block under the inlet manifold, if you have braked or cornered hard it may have 'sloshed' over to the exhaust..
Fingers crossed, this is what it is. Car seems to be running OK and the levels look sound.

It didn't do it too much this afternoon but after going round a left hand bend it seemed to be very pronounced. I was worried because after a recent service they said a water pipe was quite badly corroded but I thought it meant a pipe closer to the manifold (if there is such a thing) rather than up top.

Just going to make short trip when I really have to and ring the servicers on Monday to have a quick check over.

Cheers
Old 31 March 2006, 11:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mine has been the same, i left mine ticking over on a cold morning a few weeks back and it took 45 mins before i saw little whisps of steami coming from the drivers side rad area

still not bought a new rad yet mind, i have just been topping it up every 3/4 days lol
Old 01 April 2006, 12:11 AM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Arrow

My 96 did the same the other day! Identical, had given it a thorough washing the day before and it had been stood since, so cant rule out left over water yet.
No rise in engine temps and I hadnt been giving it some. Dont think it has done it since, but will find out for definate tomorrow on the run to work.
Finger crossed.

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2006, 11:54 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Went to use the car this morning and theres a suspicious looking puddle underneath the car. Droplets of water on the underguard and the coolant in the tank has definately gone down and full of bubbles Guess I do have a leak somewhere.

During the service they pointed out that a water hose was badly corroded. Got a feeling this is what has failed.
Old 01 April 2006, 05:43 PM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

When the car is running, shortly after start up, squeeze the top driver side radiator hose in and out and look/listen for any leaks, hissing, splashes etc, mates was the same and we traced it to the top radiator hose.

Better to catch it early and get it changed.

Alternatively give all the joints a good check with kitchen towel for leaks.

HTH

Coulster
Old 01 April 2006, 06:32 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Mine was doing this recently - i.e. making a lot of steam and bubbling in the expansion tank.

Turned out to be the top rad hose
Old 02 April 2006, 11:15 AM
Heple
Scooby Regular

It will most likely be a crack facing the slam panel (more like a hairline fracture) on the drivers side of the radiator. You will not be able to see it unless you take the radiator out.

You may be able to spot water spray on your inner wing/ headlight/ slam panal around this area if the radiator is leaking.

It is a very common problem.

When this happened to me it tended to hold the water in whilst running then let it out when the engine was turned off resulting in a small puddle under car - this also meant the water level went down very slow so the fault was hard to diagnose.

Craig.
Old 02 April 2006, 03:45 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Question

Had a look under the bonnet when I got to work yesterday, usual james bond smoke screen.
It appeared that there was a a small leak in the expansion tank. The bit where the top plate section joins with the tank itself. Could see little bits of water bubbling out of the join/seal and then down onto the hot engine, producing the steam.
Anyone else experienced this?
Will some sealant around the join sort it, or is the solution a new expansion tank?

Martin
Old 03 April 2006, 11:51 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Going to check the hoses tonight. At best its a cracked hose and I get the excuse to buy some nice Samco replacements.

If its the rad, what price am I looking at for a replacement?

Ta.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Had a look under the bonnet when I got to work yesterday, usual james bond smoke screen.
It appeared that there was a a small leak in the expansion tank. The bit where the top plate section joins with the tank itself. Could see little bits of water bubbling out of the join/seal and then down onto the hot engine, producing the steam.
Will some sealant around the join sort it, or is the solution a new expansion tank?

Martin
very common fault on the early imprezas. get a new tank and jobs a good 'un.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:24 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

bout 120-ish for a replacement rad.
Tend to be recon/echange units and you shouldnt have a problem gettin one.
Old 03 April 2006, 02:41 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Going to check the hoses tonight. At best its a cracked hose and I get the excuse to buy some nice Samco replacements.

If its the rad, what price am I looking at for a replacement?

Ta.
£105

i got mine from here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-A-NEW-R...QQcmdZViewItem

Its been fine so far and better quality than original.

Craig
Old 03 April 2006, 04:48 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Just had a look and the top rad hose has a pin hole in it. The steam was from the water dripping down onto the mainfold.

Good excuse to buy some nice blue Samcos

Cheers for the help though chaps!
Old 03 April 2006, 06:34 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks jjones

What am i looking at for a new tank? (as oppose to a new stainless header tank, about £140 from forge).

Thanks, Martin
Old 03 April 2006, 07:52 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Martin

Common problem, best bet is a new coolant tank, around £70 from Subaru, depending on year, or treat yourself to an alloy one with no seals to fail!
Old 03 April 2006, 09:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Martin
yup me about 1 year ago, swapped the header tank for a polished forge item