Notices

Heater matrix problems - this early..?!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2006, 05:53 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater matrix problems - this early..?!

Hi folks.

My wife drives a MY01 bug-eyed UK WRX, which has done about 50K miles I think. A couple of months ago a radiator pipe split (fixed by Subaru) and in the last couple of days there's been an unusual fragrance in the cabin -- very much like coolant.

Couldn't find any leaks yesterday but after a phone call to SGT in Taplow the wife was asked to check the front passenger footwell. The carpet's wet so it looks like the heater matrix (and/or pipework?) has given up. And what a bu66er of a job as well (going by the 6 hr labour charge SGT have quoted).

I appreciate that cars can all have bad days and things do go wrong, but 2 coolant system problems before the car's even 4.5 years old..? Crikey, my ol' MR2 Turbo went 12 years before any coolant problems appeared.

Hmmm... annoying and also a little worrying. My UK Classic is a year older and now I find myself waiting for a similar fate.

Jonts.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:00 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a slight blow on one of the head gaskets causing the system to pressureise, when the car is running at opperating temperature give the coolant hoses a squeeze, they shouldnt feel "inflated"...

Dont compare a super reliable Toyota which is the height of japanese engineering to a Korean budget performance car.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:50 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

A poor earth on aftermarket electrical accessories (eg the radio) has been known to cause accelerated electrolitic corrosion of the heater matrix.

Mine (MY98 classic) failed when the car was nearly 5 years old and was a full dash out job to fix. IIRC the matrix itself is a very expensive part too
Old 04 April 2006, 11:24 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. The car got taken into our local Subaru dealer today (Tuesday) and won't be ready 'til sometime tomorrow. I asked my wife to make sure that SGT put the old matrix (if it was that which had failed) in the boot so I can examine it. Whilst the system is drained the thermostat's also going to be replaced.

The wife isn't happy to say the least, not after they also spotted another problem. Now and then a rich petrol smell occurs, but then vanishes. Turns out there's a small leak at the front somewhere.

Have a funny feeling the wife will be looking for another car... especially after Mr Mechanic said it wasn't the first matrix work he'd done on a 2001 bugeye.

Oh the joys of motoring...

Jonts.