Whistling Noise @ Speed

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 04:02 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I recently (2 weeks ago) brought a '93 WRX. I have noticed that at speeds above 50MPH there is a noticable whistling noise coming from either the front or driver's side. I asked the previous owner about this, and he said he thought it was caused by a build-up of pressure infront of the scoop

In my '97 UK Sport I owned previously, I got a similar sort of noise caused by the rubber seal on one of the rear windows not sealing corretly. Could this be the same thing?

Any help appreciated.

Daniel
Old 21 October 2001, 04:15 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

It is common for the front windows not to close/seal properly especially if shut at speed. Do a search for related posts. You can tell if this is the problem because the windows normally close OK if you open the door, put 'em up, then close the door again.
Remember your turbo makes a whistling type sound when it starts spinning too!
Old 21 October 2001, 04:22 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the prompt reply Boost II - I'll try winding all four windows up and down a couple of times, to make sure their all shut. The alarm I have automatically winds the two front windows up when you arm it, so I don't think the front doors are to blame.

Daniel
Old 21 October 2001, 05:41 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

bear in mind the whistling could be from the mirror.
easiest fix is to fold the mirror against the car a little and fill the gap with a piece of tape folded length ways,sticky side out.let mirror spring back to position.job done!gap filled!
steve
Old 21 October 2001, 10:51 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

If its from your engine bay on the drivers side, could possibly be a slight boost leak.

Give yer jubilees a tightening!
Old 29 October 2001, 02:34 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have a similar noise on my MY99 Sport - seemed to be related to road speed, not engine speed. Did wonder whether it was crud somewhere like the heater, but never tracked it down.

I did have another funny noise coming from the driver footwell, and that turned out to be the plastic stopper that the clutch rests against when it is all the way up (I think the brake has one as well). The plastic had come to bits and had to be replaced (only about £1.50!), which meant the pedal was vibrating.

Mind you, isn't the odd rattle and creak what driving a scoob's all about?
Old 30 October 2001, 11:27 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

I had whistling from the front passenger door, my local dealer kindly adjusted the door so it sat closer into the car and thus tighter to the seal and hey presto - no more noise (well from that area at least )

I have also noticed that if you wind the windows down and back up again they do not seal as well as when you open and shut the doors.