Notices

Help! MY99 Import, suddenly very poor start & v.rough idle..

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 01:00 AM
StealthV5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! MY99 Import, suddenly very poor start & v.rough idle..

Problem started yesterday when injector 3 connection seemed to come loose.
Running Nismo 740's on a V5 Classic STI.. Known issue.. connector doesn't fit too well, injectors are meant for new-age. Diagnosis acheived by pulling down injector duty from 70% to 25% on each injector in turn to see which one made no difference.. No. 3 was the only one not impacting the idle quality.

Anyway, was making a good enough connection to get me home, and was pulsing to an extent. Been messin around a bit trying to acheive a better connection, with no real success. Tried turning it over for a minute or so at a time, long enough to check the injector performance.

However, the real fun began today when I tried to turn it over, it took a few attempts to start her. Eventually got it started using a bit of throttle... Was dog rough idle though, reeking of fuel (even more than usual;-).. now sounds like its running on 2 cylinders.. needs a light throttle to keep it ticking over at all. Idled it for 30 secs then shut it off..

Still got just under 3bar of fuel pressure, so no worries with fuel pump etc..
Got Apexi PowerFC with commander, but no obvious sensor failures..

My thoughts..
Ignition coil packed up, or spark plugs fouled with fuel (think its a single coilpack type - bolted to top of engine... Remove, clean n dry out plugs (where exactly are they, any tips on removal techniques, little busy around the RHS of engine bay in particular. Be useful to know what I need to and what I don't need to remove..)

Really interested in getting some other opinions on my diagnosis & the best solution.. I'm no mechanic, just an IT geek that likes to meddle, so anyone that actually knows what they're talking about, please let me know what you reckon.

Also is there a simple (& safe) method to check the function of the coilpack?

Appologies for the long post, just wanted to give enough detail to give good picture of the scenario.

chrs,
Mike