Notices

Up Pipe Removal - any advice? please.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 10:35 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up Pipe Removal - any advice? please.

Other than - dont do it!!, any advice on removing the up pipe.

In trying to get my original exhaust back on for the MOT, then it not sealing, then changing the turbo gaskets, which i managed, i later found a metre sq pool of oil under the car, it looks like i have opened up an oil feed pipe, (when i lifted the turbo over the studs when replacing the gasket. The oil pipe is situated below the turbo, and behind the up pipe, and just above the drive shaft.... looks a complete nitemare.

Ive tried getting my fingers, but without hands as small as a five year old, its looking impossible, and final resort may be to take the up pipe off, to get at it.

Any advice very welcome.. as this saga has gone on for 3 weeks now, and im getting pi$$ed off with it now.

Frank
Old 21 March 2006, 11:47 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Remove the turbo again, and then put a jubilee clip at the bottom of the black oil return pipe, after you have pulled it back up a little.

If you dont do that, what happens when you put the turbo back down, is instead of it going into the top of the rubber oil return pipe, it simply pushes it down. Thus allowing oil to spew out of the turbo instead of going back into the engine.

Steven
Old 21 March 2006, 06:45 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Steven

as I know your a man you likes to dabble a bit

is there a reason why they don't use a briaded hose style oil return ( like many of the oil feed pipes) , as it would be much easyer
Old 21 March 2006, 10:28 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

It would be even harder with a braided return hose, you would not be able to get in to tighten up any banjos.

The way it is as standard works quite well, as long as you jubilee the bottom of the hose so it cant slide down.
Old 21 March 2006, 11:50 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

cheers Steven

all clear now,

do you normally find the oil return hose just fit the pipe - I.e about a cm of the hose covers the pipe as when I did mine I could'n't get much more

I was even tempted to put in a loger hose

sorry for the thread hijak - I know how difficult these things are for the first time

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 21 March 2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 21 March 2006, 11:57 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Why did you need to remove the turbo? The catted downpipe should be enough for an MOT pass.
Old 22 March 2006, 08:43 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies......

I had a full 3" system, and it wouldnt pass the MOT ...always well over the limit.

Anyways, it was blowing from the up-pipe to turbo gasket .... and i thought, id sort it before putting it in for MOT, at the same time as changing the downpipe and exhaust.

In trying to lift the turbo, to replace the gasket,( i removed to the top oil feed, and lifted it just above the studs) i think ive pulled the oil return pipe too much, and its come off. I can actually see the pipe which has come off, and its neatly tucked in behind the up pipe ... i can get my fingers to it, but cant get any grip on it.

Luckily last nite, in work, ive found a set of curved welding tongs, im hoping i can get a grip on the pipe with them. if not, then its the up pipe out...

Im venturing into the unknown with that, so any advice on removal would be appreciated. Are there any bolts hidden etc?? is it just the short piece of pipe, or does the whole lot have to come out?

thanks

Frank

Last edited by redwrx; 22 March 2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 22 March 2006, 08:49 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Frank PM me as i have just completed the following work on Nick A's car on Saturday, New Turbo, headers up-pipe and a whole lot of other bits.

The way you are trying to lift the Turbo is a no go you would be better removing it and doing it properly, you can get lucky with the oil return pipe on the far side of the Turbo but its common for people to miss it when replacing the Turbo back.

Zippy
Old 22 March 2006, 06:03 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Zippy, ive tried to PM, but your inbox is full.

If you can pm me your number, i will give you a call if thats ok

Thanks mate

Frank
Old 22 March 2006, 09:07 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Frank, YHM. Give me a call and i will help you out.

Zippy
Old 22 March 2006, 09:21 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Undo the drivers side engine mount and you can drop out the headers as a complete assembly if you don't want to remove the turbo. If you have got as far as removing stuff, then do as P20SPD suggests with putting a firm clip on the bottom of the oil drain (attaching to head). It's much easier to put the turbo in place with the up-pipe dropped down enough to clear the studs.

Paul