Notices

engine splutter/misfire

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 07:11 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine splutter/misfire

Hi, i've a 96 colin mcrae sti and is causing me grief.
It has an engine splutter/misfire, when it starts it is fine for the first few seconds but then starts to splutter and as soon as you go anywhere and put any kind of boost through engine it has major splutter, i thought it may be coil packs which i've had on another sti i owned but this seems a lot worse as on other car it only seemed to splutter when it got over 3,500 rpm but on this car it splutters throughout rev range, someone says it may be air flow meter CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??? CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 March 2006, 10:56 AM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

Any ideas please???
Old 19 March 2006, 03:23 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

check that no pipes have split.

it does sound like the airflow meter, but if its temp related then it could be the water temp sensor!!!!! (they only £20)

if you can get the car to subaru they may be able to tell u what it is straight away, they did tell me once to unplug the sensor while the engine is running and see if the is any big change if the isnt then the sensor is naff
Old 19 March 2006, 06:02 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

only prob i have at mo is that it isn't registered as i'm waiting till 1st of june to avoid sva charges, i have just had it back from a subaru mechanic who said that it maybe airflow meter, but when it went in it also went in for check engine light, he plugged it into computer and said that there was nothing showing wrong, and he apparently unplugged and checked the state plug (whatever that is) but as he didn't have any trade plates he couldn't road test it. Do you think that subaru themselves will be able to tell me any different as it's hard enough to find anyone that will touch imports let alone a scooby main dealer, i'm based nr birmingham if u know anywhere
cheers