Notices

Just bought first impreza

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 09:46 PM
Trunkmonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought first impreza

Ive just bought my first scooby. Its a '95 M reg jap import WRX saloon automatic (Im only allowed to drive auto's). Can anyone help tell me what bhp/top speed it might have because Im getting conflicting figures. The speedo gos up to 180 mph so Ive been told its probably derestricted.
Also, Im looking to add some minor mods such as dump valve, cone filter etc. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers
Old 16 March 2006, 11:52 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ok, I stand to be corrected but:

Assuming autos same power as manual - 260ps (256bhp but on 100 RON), 145mph ish?

If it has not been destricted it will top out @ 112mph.

Don't bother with dump valve or cone filter.

Change the panel filter to a freer flowing aftermarket one (JR, K&N, STI), don't change to induction kit etc. - waste of time.

Fully decat the car, doesn't need the cats for MOT as pre Sep 95 - takes the non cat test as imports of this year and previous don't appear on the register.

You have the best ecu (Z4) of this age, you don't need octane booster just Optimax.

I had a 95 WRX - so know a bit about em

Fully decat and change panel filter, and you'll get about 270bhp on Optimax - believe me thats plenty!
Old 17 March 2006, 12:41 AM
IntoTheBlue
Scooby Newbie

Hi

I'm in a similar situation - looking to upgrade filter and exhaust. However, my WRX is an N plate, first registered Nov 95. Can I go fully decat or should I play it safe?

Strangely the MOT certificate states approx year of first use as 1994, but I won't rely on that.

Appreciate your advice.
Old 17 March 2006, 01:03 AM
Trunkmonkey
Scooby Regular

Cheers StiX. Defo food for thought!
Old 17 March 2006, 08:41 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by IntoTheBlue
Hi

I'm in a similar situation - looking to upgrade filter and exhaust. However, my WRX is an N plate, first registered Nov 95. Can I go fully decat or should I play it safe?

Strangely the MOT certificate states approx year of first use as 1994, but I won't rely on that.

Appreciate your advice.
Do what I have recently done on my MY00. Save messing about with changing downpipe for MOT, by fitting a Sports Cat. The one I went for was the Ninja Sports Cat Downpipe from Scoobyworld fro £299. Quality kit

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76

Apparently these only lose 2bhp as opposed to non-cat pipe. I made 272bhp/272lbft a couple of weeks ago on my UK MY00 with it so can't be bad!
Old 17 March 2006, 04:30 PM
IntoTheBlue
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by StiX
Do what I have recently done on my MY00. Save messing about with changing downpipe for MOT, by fitting a Sports Cat. The one I went for was the Ninja Sports Cat Downpipe from Scoobyworld fro £299. Quality kit
Thanks for that. I see they do a complete system with sports cat for 489.99. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

My next newbie question is about remaps. Do I need one after a filter/exhaust change, or just a reset? Of course I have no idea what a remap is - does it involve a change of ECU, or is it reprogramming the existing ECU?
Old 17 March 2006, 04:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks for that. I see they do a complete system with sports cat for 489.99. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

My next newbie question is about remaps. Do I need one after a filter/exhaust change, or just a reset? Of course I have no idea what a remap is - does it involve a change of ECU, or is it reprogramming the existing ECU?
My Advice:

Exhaust, filter and Power FC ECU maped by someone like Andy F, will cost you about £700 but the car will run smoother, much safer, and significantly faster!!

You can only Ecutek remap MY99 onwards.

Personally I wouldn't run an import - even one with the z4 ECU- with a decat. I'd also invest in a knocklink if you don't intend to replace the ECU, then if you get a duff batch of Optimax, or you are runing too close to the edge of the ECU's tolerances you'll know before it all ends in tears.

Ns04

BTW I have a Ninja sports cat DP, excellent bit of kit- bargin basement price too!
Old 17 March 2006, 04:49 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Speak to my mate scott.t on this forum. His is widely known as one of the best suppliers of the scoobyecu, and maps according to the specification of your car. I saw some very hansome increases in power on my old 95WRX. You won't be dissapointed with the results.
Old 17 March 2006, 07:46 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
My Advice:

Exhaust, filter and Power FC ECU maped by someone like Andy F, will cost you about £700 but the car will run smoother, much safer, and significantly faster!!

You can only Ecutek remap MY99 onwards.

Personally I wouldn't run an import - even one with the z4 ECU- with a decat. I'd also invest in a knocklink if you don't intend to replace the ECU, then if you get a duff batch of Optimax, or you are runing too close to the edge of the ECU's tolerances you'll know before it all ends in tears.

Ns04

BTW I have a Ninja sports cat DP, excellent bit of kit- bargin basement price too!
I agree with your initial comments, but for a change New Scoob I disagree with your last comment regarding the import!

I ran a 95 WRX with full de-cat for over a year. When I first had it, only ran Optimax and Millers OB. I then fitted a knocklink (professionally), and without OB absolutely no activity on the knocklink unless I went on the motorway, and then only the occasional green flash. This was with a full decat, which had also naturally raised boost to 0.9-1bar.

At the time everyone was saying that with a Z4 should use Optimax plus OB, but mine was fine in Optimax. Now the current thinking is with a Z4 Optimax is fine - and I have first hand experience of this.

IntoTheBLue : the price with the sports cat is £589, without its £489 - still damn good value though! When I had my MY95, it had afterburner downpipe and centre, with a Ninja backbox - awesome sound, better than my current set-up I would say (Magnex cat-back, Ninja Sports Cat dp).
Old 17 March 2006, 11:15 PM
IntoTheBlue
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

I was looking for someone local for fitting and remap etc., and have just found Zen Performance only 30 mins away. I will have to pay them a visit when the budget allows.

Until then will I be OK just changing the back box? The car came with the standard twin pipe and it's just too damn quiet!

BTW, I'm running Tesco 99 SUL.
Old 17 March 2006, 11:24 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

I was looking for someone local for fitting and remap etc., and have just found Zen Performance only 30 mins away. I will have to pay them a visit when the budget allows.

Until then will I be OK just changing the back box? The car came with the standard twin pipe and it's just too damn quiet!

BTW, I'm running Tesco 99 SUL.
Zen have a good rep, and they post on here and make a lot of sense - good choice.

God yes, change the pea-shooter

You can change the whole caboodle if you like without remapping, its just that you will not get the full benefit without the remap.

I fully decatted and changed panel filter. Before I remapped 230bhp, after 272bhp - THATS the difference, also much more driveable afterwards. A lot smoother etc. Perfectly safe before the remap though.
Old 18 March 2006, 12:41 AM
IntoTheBlue
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by StiX
You can change the whole caboodle if you like without remapping, its just that you will not get the full benefit without the remap.

I fully decatted and changed panel filter. Before I remapped 230bhp, after 272bhp - THATS the difference, also much more driveable afterwards. A lot smoother etc. Perfectly safe before the remap though.
That's good to know. I think I'll do it in stages, finishing with a remap.

I'll actually be looking for driveability - more torque than bhp. I drove a Rover 220 Turbo for 9 years and a Skyline GTSt for 3 months and miss the low down torque both cars had. However, once the turbo kicks in the WRX is already so much quicker it's actually quite scary !