Notices

'93 wagon TD04 to TD05 + ecu advice

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 04:48 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '93 wagon TD04 to TD05 + ecu advice

I have a standard JDM 1993 WRX wagon with with TD04 turbo. The only mod i have is a stainless middle section and backbox on the exhaust.

I want to upgrade the turbo to a TD05, and also get a stainless tubular exhaust manifold and stanless de-cat downpipe at the same time.

When this happens i figure that i'm going to need an engine remap, i have seen these type things sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...QQcmdZViewItem

with all sorts of names like 'Z4' 'scoobyecu' ect - are these safe?

Can my wagon engine handle the TD05 turbo without fear of it melting, and also with the TD05 would a saloon mapping be appropriate for the set up that im talking about.

Im not after any rediculous power here, but the car needs a service so i thought i would get a bit more juice out of it while its in, and my current turbo seems to be making some rattling sounds - so id rather put an upgrade in than simply replace the existing one at a similar cost.

The ECU is really what im in the dark about.

Any advice much appreciated.
will
Old 13 February 2006, 05:18 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by borat52
I have a standard JDM 1993 WRX wagon with with TD04 turbo. The only mod i have is a stainless middle section and backbox on the exhaust.

I want to upgrade the turbo to a TD05, and also get a stainless tubular exhaust manifold and stanless de-cat downpipe at the same time.

When this happens i figure that i'm going to need an engine remap, i have seen these type things sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...QQcmdZViewItem

with all sorts of names like 'Z4' 'scoobyecu' ect - are these safe?

Can my wagon engine handle the TD05 turbo without fear of it melting, and also with the TD05 would a saloon mapping be appropriate for the set up that im talking about.

Im not after any rediculous power here, but the car needs a service so i thought i would get a bit more juice out of it while its in, and my current turbo seems to be making some rattling sounds - so id rather put an upgrade in than simply replace the existing one at a similar cost.

The ECU is really what im in the dark about.

Any advice much appreciated.
will
The chip shown is not compatible with your Wagon as the mapping is different.

To be honest it all depends on your budget, personally I would go for the Apexi Powere FC which is a full replacement unit that can be mapped for all the mods your on about doing, with this you'll get the best out of them.

A cheaper option is a Scoobyecu fitted and mapped by a company like Scoobyclinic, you keep you existing ECU and the chip is fitted and mapped to your car, similar to the chip shown above on your link.

As for the turbo, how much power do you want, the TD04 is capable of 280bhp max with the right mods and has quick spool, the TD05 can produce around 350bhp max, but with that you'll need to change the fuel pump and injectors for that sort of power.

Hope this helps

Rob
Old 13 February 2006, 05:30 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A chip can be fitted into the Wagon ECU to run the TD04 Turbo upto about 14.5psi. This I have done several times without problems.

In theory you should be able to plug in a TD05 based chip mapped to 16psi into the wagon ECU and run it with a TD05.
However, I've not known of anyone doing this with a Wagon ECU .

The wagon ECU can behave a bit wierd for reasons un-known.

It has however been done with a Z4 (saloon) ECU in a wagon.

Fitting a Z4 ECU into the wagon will imediatley give you 12.7psi on a TD05 Turbo. But this can be taken to 16psi with a remapped chip.

P.S The standard Wagon map runs 10psi dropping to 6psi at redline.
Old 13 February 2006, 06:49 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

I run a td05 and z4 ecu in my wrx wagon. Runs perfect. z4 ecu is very safe. best to start off with this ecu and ditch your old one rather than go down the route of running a chip in the one you have. Agree with scott original 3b ecu in my wagon did not handle a chip very well. The boost control didnt work.
Old 15 February 2006, 07:11 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps, I'm leaning towards a Z4 now with TD05, however ive come across a Z5 for sale from a 95/96 WRX RA. Would this be suitable for my 1993 wagon + TD05 and what is the map for this ecu?

as ever your help is appreciated to the max.
Old 15 February 2006, 08:20 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

z4 and z5 are near identical i think. z5 may be a slighlty later very slightly more aggressive ecu.
Old 16 February 2006, 05:44 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to but in here chaps but how much would you expect a TD05 and a Z4 ECU to set you back ?
Old 16 February 2006, 10:09 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

From the hunting i have done, if you shop around you can get them for £300 for both - with a decent condition turbo. would not pay more than £100 quid for the Z4 given what they have sold for recently.

Originally Posted by 94impreza
Sorry to but in here chaps but how much would you expect a TD05 and a Z4 ECU to set you back ?