Notices

Prodrive downpipe - how good?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2006, 01:43 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prodrive downpipe - how good?

I'm currently deciding on a suitable upgrade package for my 03 STi PPP and among others, am considering TSL and Powerstation packages. In both cases to approach 330bhp/320-330lbft I have been told that the whole exhaust system would need to be changed along with the remap. (eg TSL 333) The thing that will take me over budget in this case would be the cost of the catted downpipe. Retaining the Prodrive downpipe mated to a new 3" system would just about make my budget, so how good (or bad) is the Prodrive item? Would retaining this really make much difference? Do the TSL/Powerstation downpipes flow that much better?
Getting a bit confused as to what to go for now!
JohnD
Old 12 February 2006, 02:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I have had best results from 3" open neck from either Hayward & Scott or Roger Clark Motorsport,
Old 12 February 2006, 04:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-WRC350.htm

You could always sell the STI TMIC for £250 I expect.

Last edited by john banks; 12 February 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12 February 2006, 08:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-WRC350.htm

You could always sell the STI TMIC for £250 I expect.
I considered the WRC package but ideally I don't want the induction kit. I contacted WRC regarding the deletion of this componant and they quoted a possible reduction of 10-12 bhp and perhaps 15lbft in the overall results. I've still got them in mind.
I would consider a complete exhaust system change if I thought I could offset the cost somewhat by selling the Prodrive system? What would be a reasonable asking price for this I wonder? (12k miles)
JohnD
Old 13 February 2006, 12:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
I'm currently deciding on a suitable upgrade package for my 03 STi PPP and among others, am considering TSL and Powerstation packages. In both cases to approach 330bhp/320-330lbft I have been told that the whole exhaust system would need to be changed along with the remap. (eg TSL 333) The thing that will take me over budget in this case would be the cost of the catted downpipe. Retaining the Prodrive downpipe mated to a new 3" system would just about make my budget, so how good (or bad) is the Prodrive item? Would retaining this really make much difference? Do the TSL/Powerstation downpipes flow that much better?
Getting a bit confused as to what to go for now!
JohnD
I don't see why you'd need to. If the Prodrive is a hi flow 100 cell cat'd down pipe, then I can't see how another one will significantly improve on it. I don't know whether it's a 3inch narrowing down to a 2.5 etc or 3 inches at both ends, but even a 2.5 exhaust would be sufficient for your bhp aspirations if I understand it correctly. As you say, a new hi flow DP would be very pricey, so you'd want good evidence that it would significantly improve on the PPP item.

I'd consult with some independent mappers, it sounds like some people may be trying to get a bit extra dosh out of you when it may not be necessary..

Ns04
Old 13 February 2006, 04:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I don't see why you'd need to. If the Prodrive is a hi flow 100 cell cat'd down pipe, then I can't see how another one will significantly improve on it. I don't know whether it's a 3inch narrowing down to a 2.5 etc or 3 inches at both ends, but even a 2.5 exhaust would be sufficient for your bhp aspirations if I understand it correctly. As you say, a new hi flow DP would be very pricey, so you'd want good evidence that it would significantly improve on the PPP item.

I'd consult with some independent mappers, it sounds like some people may be trying to get a bit extra dosh out of you when it may not be necessary..

Ns04
Not sure (but I doubt it) if the cat is a 100 cell (race spec?) but the main system appears to be around 2.5" which as you say, should be fine for a relatively mild power hike. I have to say, that having spoke with TSL today I was quite impressed that there was no attempt at flogging me a fat exhaust along with the remap, as the latter being the main element, combined with the reasonable Prodrive system, should hope to see a useful improvement in how the car drives.
JohnD
Old 13 February 2006, 07:07 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Ive got 04 STI with prodrive downpipe and 3"TSL system with group N back box,remapped by TSL.The car drives very well and pulls from low rpm right upto rev limiter.Once it had been mapped i asked how it compared to the triple 3 pack with exhaust system,Richard Bulmer said there was nothing in it and my map turned out really well.Ive no complaints with what i ended up with .Regards JASON
Old 13 February 2006, 10:26 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay knowles
Ive got 04 STI with prodrive downpipe and 3"TSL system with group N back box,remapped by TSL.The car drives very well and pulls from low rpm right upto rev limiter.Once it had been mapped i asked how it compared to the triple 3 pack with exhaust system,Richard Bulmer said there was nothing in it and my map turned out really well.Ive no complaints with what i ended up with .Regards JASON
That's pretty well what I would consider as a package but (I'm assuming here as I haven't yet measured it) as the Prodrive d/p exits at 2.5" the benefits of bolting on a 3" system after that could be minimal?
Did you get a power/torque readout?
JohnD
Old 14 February 2006, 10:04 AM
New_scooby_04

That's pretty well what I would consider as a package but (I'm assuming here as I haven't yet measured it) as the Prodrive d/p exits at 2.5" the benefits of bolting on a 3" system after that could be minimal?
Did you get a power/torque readout?
JohnD
I think the Prodrive one is 100 cel...... Maybe worth PMing Mike Wood and asking him. Most tuners seem to agree that 2.5 inch diameter is fine to about 350bhp IIRC mate.

Ns04
Old 14 February 2006, 11:39 AM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

I am sure Mike Wood came on here and said there is very little difference between a decat pipe and their sports cat when tested. I spoke to TSL and they advised against changing the prodrive cat.

Last edited by Ministry Maniac; 14 February 2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 14 February 2006, 03:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ministry Maniac
I am sure Mike Wood came on here and said there is very little difference between a decat pipe and their sports cat when tested. I spoke to TSL and they advised against changing the prodrive cat.
Did they say if the rest of the PPP system was OK? I would consider a change if I thought there would be a measurable improvement.
Would replacing the resonator section have any effect, I wonder.
JohnD
Old 14 February 2006, 04:00 PM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Did they say if the rest of the PPP system was OK? I would consider a change if I thought there would be a measurable improvement.
Would replacing the resonator section have any effect, I wonder.
JohnD

When I went there Graham (the owner) advised changing the filter for a green cotton type and then a remap and that was it really. In essence the ppp is the same as 333 but with a different map and the addition of a filter.

cheers.

P.S. I had the resonator removed, not sure about any performace gain but there is definitely a sound gain
Old 14 February 2006, 07:35 PM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ministry Maniac
I am sure Mike Wood came on here and said there is very little difference between a decat pipe and their sports cat when tested. .
You know i was going to say that exact same thing!!

I think he said something like 5bhp difference
Old 14 February 2006, 07:37 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Do a search on (04 STI DOWNPIPE QUESTION)I asked this months ago and Mike Wood replied and should awnser any of your questions as to how good or bad it is.This was the reason i went down the tuning route i chose.I paid £150.00 for the cat from a wr1 with 6000miles on it,i am well happy with the results and cost.REGARDS JASON p.s they are 100 cel
Old 15 February 2006, 10:47 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I'm feeling a bit better about this now, or should I say my wallet is!
I'm already using a STi panel filter, NGK iridiums (7's) and the car is booked in at TSL for the remap in March. It's on the rollers at Power Engineering on the 25th Feb. (see southern section) so It'll be interesting to see what it's doing before the remap.
JohnD
Old 15 February 2006, 10:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay knowles
Do a search on (04 STI DOWNPIPE QUESTION)I asked this months ago and Mike Wood replied and should awnser any of your questions as to how good or bad it is.This was the reason i went down the tuning route i chose.I paid £150.00 for the cat from a wr1 with 6000miles on it,i am well happy with the results and cost.REGARDS JASON p.s they are 100 cel
jay - From this I assume the original exhaust was standard STi which is why you fitted the TSL system combined with the (cheaper) Prodrive D/P?
JohnD
Old 15 February 2006, 08:19 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

jay - From this I assume the original exhaust was standard STi which is why you fitted the TSL system combined with the (cheaper) Prodrive D/P?
JohnD
I already had the TSL system which i took off my03 wrx when i part exed it for the STI.JASON
Old 16 February 2006, 10:00 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys, it's appreciated.
JohnD