Questions and introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 09:04 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions and introduction.

Hi to all users,
My name is Lee im 30 Years old and originaly from Sussex.
Im new to these forums and also new to Subaru cars in general.
My main problem is that im a British National living in Germany, thus when asking general questions on the German forums the problem arises that writing German isnt exactly easy. and missunderstandings arise lightly.
Here is what i got for Christmas
MY98 or known here as a Impreza GT Turbo, one owner, full Inspection history, 80000 Km. Currently running at roughly 300bhp
Mods as to date:
VF 24 Turbo
Forge dump valve
MY02 WRX Intercooler
Samco hosekit
Zimmermann discs
Movit Callipers/Pads
Supersprint Exhaust
Boostgauge
Air/Fuel Meter
Prodrive (P1) Alloys (The only Impreza in Germany with these)
Photos are in the Wagon topic!..

My questions are:

i would like to have Ecutek done on the car, after talks with the German Impreza Club ive found out this isnt possible. After searching the forums here i still couldnt find any real awnsers.

1) Is it possible to take the ECU from a scrap MY00 and install it in my car then getting that mapped??.

2) I would like a Decent Downpipe without a Kat, over here Bastürk has made a name for itself and are supposed to be very good, yet im unsure if a aftermaket downpipe (doesnt matter which make) will fit straight onto the car. After looking through many cataloges and websites i can only choose between the normal known models, please dont forget where i Live, these models are the GT or UK WRX Classic (mine) standard 218bhp the WRX 240bhp which was sold over here when the bugeye model came out, and the STI 265bhp. What makes me unsure is that i have the IHI VF24 Turbo, wasnt this turbo normaly on the Japanese STIs? or are all the nut and bolt placements the same so that is doesnt make any difference.

Thankyou in advance for any replys.
Lee
Old 03 February 2006, 09:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Lee, i can imagine the situation.... from what i know, the GT is the same basically as the UK turbo, therefore pretty much any decat downpipe that states it fits a classic turbo, will fit.

Ecu wise, as yours is a my98, your pretty much forced to get another ecu, not from another subaru, but an aftermarket one, as the 98's are not easy to work with..... it'd be wise to ask mappers and supliers in the uk what the options are....

Welcome!

Ron.
Old 03 February 2006, 09:58 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Lee,

Hi there and welcome to scoobynet. Probably your best solution is to get an Apexi PowerFC fitted and mapped. For the 97/98 cars that cannot be mapped via Ecutek they are ideal.

And it so happens that I will be Germany at the end of April for a visit to the ring. If you can wait that long it might be an ideal opportunity. Alternatively I know some people in Belgium that regularly get another UK mapper (Sam Ellesar) to come and map their PowerFCs 3-4 at a time. I don't know when they will next have him over for mapping, but that's another route for you to consider.

Paul
Old 03 February 2006, 11:18 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Thankyou both for your awnsers.

@ Paul, i dont live far away from the ring. Ive just done a bit of research on what you said and i think its proberly the best idea, although looking at the price for it including mapping, well Aprils actually too soon for me.
"Saving pennies now then".

Another quick question then:

If i got those two mods done the car should be pushing onto the 330-350bhp, im not to sure how much bhp difference the Apexi power fc would make when added and mapped. The car has been on a dyno here and runs at 1.1 bar with 300bhp so i cant be far out with my guess.

Will the gearbox hold this amout of power without any problems?
Old 04 February 2006, 07:53 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee:
As a user of the Apexi FC on my Sti v3 with a few mods, you will not be dissapointed as long as it is mapped by someone with experience of the System.
It will make all the difference to optimising your spec of car.

Paul has a very good reputation in the UK.

Graham
Old 04 February 2006, 08:23 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

@911, thankyou for your reply!. I seen your topic, hmm a few mods Lovely looking car you have!.