Notices

high pitch squeal/squeak

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 09:35 AM
island991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitch squeal/squeak

Newbie scooby owner (not even had for 24 hours yet!! ) just returned from a short non taxing drive and as i pulled into drive i heard a high pitch squeak. it then happened again as i reversed into parking place, so i moved it around a little to try and work out what it was coming from and it disappeared.

Havent had a chance to try out car again yet (will do this pm) but anyone got any ideas what it might be? anything to worry about!? a common problem??

worried new scooby owner!!

thanks
Old 26 January 2006, 10:53 AM
Andis
Scooby Regular

Is it a belt type squeal?

Have you checked the power steering fluid level?
Old 26 January 2006, 11:38 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

check tyres for remains of next doors cat. Not really helpful I know, but just couldnt resist.
Old 26 January 2006, 01:36 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

This happened to me the other week and i found it was a bit of grit
that had got logged in between the disc and caliper causing the squeal.

They had just laid an anti skid surface near where i live and i drove through
it picking up the grit.

Was a relief when i found it !!

Rob
Old 26 January 2006, 01:54 PM
GAWLEY
Scooby Regular

the same thing happened to me about a month ago. It started making a squealing noise only when i was reversing and then it started to do it constantly, I took it to a subaru main dealer and they said it was probably something stuck in around the brake disks but when i left it in for them to look at it they changed the pads and told me they were faulty. It did cure it but im still not totally confident that it needed new pads as they were still fairly fresh.
Old 26 January 2006, 05:56 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

been out this afternoon and it only happened once very briefly and not at all when i parked back at home. it felt like either clutch or brake, but it hasnt happened enough to work out which!!
ill check the power steering fluid level i guess then just keep my ears open!!

cheers. im definately not letting it spoil my first few days of scooby owning!!
Old 26 January 2006, 06:50 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your brake pads-they have squealers built into them(little metal strip which rubs against the disc) , which funnily enough, squeal when the pads get low(about 2mm IIRC), its not at a dangerous level, just an audible warning to get them changed.If you keep using the car, the squealing will get more constant as the pads wear more.

Gary.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:51 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

ok cheers
Old 26 January 2006, 10:01 PM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Question Brake shims

Originally Posted by easyrider
Check your brake pads-they have squealers built into them(little metal strip which rubs against the disc) , which funnily enough, squeal when the pads get low(about 2mm IIRC), its not at a dangerous level, just an audible warning to get them changed.If you keep using the car, the squealing will get more constant as the pads wear more.

Gary.
Is that right? Just popped a set of 2500 in yesterday and thought at first some clutz had put two pairs of anti-squeal shims in there
This is a My00 classic. Usual stainless shim sits on the twin pistons, and then theres a black enamelled steel plate of similar size with louvers cut out of it that sits between shim and brake pad rear. Never seen this before. Thought it may be for cooling, or stopping heat transfer to the pistons?

Steve
Old 26 January 2006, 10:31 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M1BJR
Is that right? Just popped a set of 2500 in yesterday and thought at first some clutz had put two pairs of anti-squeal shims in there
This is a My00 classic. Usual stainless shim sits on the twin pistons, and then theres a black enamelled steel plate of similar size with louvers cut out of it that sits between shim and brake pad rear. Never seen this before. Thought it may be for cooling, or stopping heat transfer to the pistons?

Steve
Its been a while since i looked at my pads-but IIRC the shims incorperate the squeeler -which is one of the lugs that folds around the edge of the metal backing of the pad that sticks out proud of the backing by about 2mm so it can rub against the disc when the pad gets low.
I think the other shim is to stop the knocking noise from when you apply the brake when going backwards, which is caused by the pad moving in the caliper.

Gary.
Old 27 January 2006, 02:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

My pads are getting low and just starting noticing a tinny ringing/squeel. At first I though it wasn't pad wear indicator as I was noticing it whilst not touching the brakes, but seems as though it is. Must be just touching disc very lightly..? If I just touch pedal lightly it gets a little louder, but funnily if I brake normally it dosen't do it... YET..!

New pads sitting in garage awaiting a warmer day..!
Old 27 January 2006, 10:45 PM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by easyrider
Its been a while since i looked at my pads-but IIRC the shims incorperate the squeeler -which is one of the lugs that folds around the edge of the metal backing of the pad that sticks out proud of the backing by about 2mm so it can rub against the disc when the pad gets low.
I think the other shim is to stop the knocking noise from when you apply the brake when going backwards, which is caused by the pad moving in the caliper.

Gary.
Cheers Gary. The pads removed were OEM Subaru and had a v shaped spring riveted to the inner pad backing plate. I wondered what the hell it was for as it seemed to have no purpose.
That's it then, its a little spring on the inner pad that tickles the disk when the pad gets to about 2mm. It's not actually on the squeel shims.
Ferodo 2500 didn't have them fitted however....
Old 27 January 2006, 11:23 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Ahhhh....Thats it, i knew they were there somwhere

Gary.