Notices

Apexi Power FC on a MY99 UK Boost Control question

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2006, 02:24 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Apexi Power FC on a MY99 UK Boost Control question

I have a reasonably modified UK Impreza turbo 2000.
My question is that I am soon going to have fitted and mapped my Apexi PFC and commander. Can this control boost or will I need something like the AVC-R.

The car currently uses the factory two port solenoid to control boost. Would getting an AVC-R be a waste of money if the Power FC does this already.

Cheers

Daz
Old 24 January 2006, 02:42 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can control the boost out of the box, you can sometime get an improvement in contol using a 3 port solenoid, or a different restrictor with the 2 port setup. It will depend on what you're trying to acheive, the 2 port setup is good at dropping boost with RPM, which is often what you want on smallish turbo setups. AVC-R is more flexible, and configurable, but it's a lot of money for a little extra functionality, especially if it's not needed. The pre 97 cars benefit from an external boost controller, as the PFC only controls up to 1 bar with the factory MAP sensor, and the boost control kit is comparable in price to some electronic controllers.

Paul
Old 24 January 2006, 03:28 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks Paul,

I am "future proofing" the car as I shall soon be wishing to go for one of RCMS's Garrett / IHI GT35 Hybrids with a P20 EH.

That will be running 2bar max but mainly 1.5 for everyday use.

I have read that you can have upto four Boost setting via the Commander but I am wondering if The AVCR wil be the better option in the long term with the Mods I have in Mind.

Daz
Old 24 January 2006, 06:39 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PFC on 99/00 will only read boost up to 1.8 bar, and the control for ball bearing turbos needs a bit of care. I'm not sure of the limit of the boost control kit,i think it's about 2.2 bar, which would be okay, but I would recommend the AVC-R for the better control which you will more than likely benefit from. It will still give you 2 settings, and "off" so effectively 3 settings.