Notices

Coming up to my MOT soon..

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2006, 08:58 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming up to my MOT soon..

on my '96 WRX import with a decat and whilst browsing my sky box last night came across this product on bidtv or something..

http://www.systemproducts.com/Pages/product.html

It's called CATACLEAN. According to the bloke who was selling it and the website, it helps reduce emissions by up to 60%.. and can be used on turbo cars.. non-turbo.. diesels... with or without a cat aslong as it is fuel injected.

I know it's the purpose of the cat in the first place to reduce the emissions, but with what they are claiming -"improved fuel combustion"- to create a cleaner engine.. is it possible to bang this stuff in.. get the engine/exhaust quite warm/hot before getting the test done?

I have bought a centre cat section of the ebay.. and might even combine the two just to get it past the emissions?

Some of my mates say that the jap engines burn better and are generally cleaner so I might not need any of them?

Got 10 days left....
Old 24 January 2006, 01:39 PM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

Put your cats back in or find a station that will pass it without them ;-)
Old 24 January 2006, 07:01 PM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

u dont need a cat on a classic import ie wrx , sti's etc, for an mot , they r just tested in conjunction with 1986/87 emission levels, as import classics r not listed on the mot cat test listings, check them out at your local mot station , just have it warmed up before the test and it will be ok
Old 24 January 2006, 09:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by oscarprezza
u dont need a cat on a classic import ie wrx , sti's etc, for an mot , they r just tested in conjunction with 1986/87 emission levels, as import classics r not listed on the mot cat test listings, check them out at your local mot station , just have it warmed up before the test and it will be ok
I thought that only applied to imorts outside the EU that were manufactured before 1995, not any jap import, for example a MY02 GL
Old 26 January 2006, 10:35 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

right.. i might just check with a local garage first, and then try the warm run.. if not then will get the misses to dress up and wink at the MOT guy!
Old 26 January 2006, 01:58 PM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I thought that only applied to imorts outside the EU that were manufactured before 1995, not any jap import, for example a MY02 GL
Yep, your right sort of. I thought it was only imports in the crossover year of 1993 when they first brought cats into the UK. The rule is if its not on the UK list (ie: Import WRX on a 1992/1993 plate) then they have to let you through on the 3.5 co level. And since the impreza was introduced to the UK in 1994 in turbo guise all imprezas are classed as those and they have to meet the emissions wether imports or not.
Old 26 January 2006, 02:07 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by neonfury
Yep, your right sort of. I thought it was only imports in the crossover year of 1993 when they first brought cats into the UK. The rule is if its not on the UK list (ie: Import WRX on a 1992/1993 plate) then they have to let you through on the 3.5 co level. And since the impreza was introduced to the UK in 1994 in turbo guise all imprezas are classed as those and they have to meet the emissions wether imports or not.
92/93 was Cats in UK prodution and imports from the EU, imports from outside the EU had a few more years before requiring cats. IIRC
Old 26 January 2006, 02:13 PM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

92/93 was Cats in UK prodution and imports from the EU, imports from outside the EU had a few more years before requiring cats. IIRC
Do you know where I can find this info on paper/websource as I have a friend that also needs to get his 1995 through the MOT but doesn't want to risk being caught out if they disagree. Its always nice to back yourself up with a bit of paper then they can't argue etc. Cheers for any help
Old 26 January 2006, 02:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

It was a long time age (2000) but it was all on the DVLA website when I personally imported my 1st impreza (MY95 WRX) I don't have the links anymore but try the personal import section (outside EU)
Old 26 January 2006, 02:37 PM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

It was a long time age (2000) but it was all on the DVLA website when I personally imported my 1st impreza (MY95 WRX) I don't have the links anymore but try the personal import section (outside EU)
Top man! Thanks