Notices

Impatient about modding 03 WRX - help!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 08:25 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impatient about modding 03 WRX - help!

Hi All

Well, I've only had my 03 WRX for three weeks or so and I'm just so impatient that I want to start modding now! I'm SO impatient that I was thinking of getting a remap now and then the zorst, filter and further remap at a later date (when the bonus comes though!!!). Does anyone know what kind of power a remap will produce on a standard 03 WRX? And, what is the cost of further remaps since I believe the tuning companies generally charge you less for these?
Old 18 January 2006, 09:14 AM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Once you get the bug, you better have plenty of Cash!!
My 03 Wrx stands me about £3.5K in mods (Engine & Cosmetic). Got it to 285 HP last year with Full Decat Exhaust, Panel Filter, Wrapped & Ported Headers and Walbro Fuel pump, on the standard map also! I was very pleased and the difference was immediately noticable over the standard car ! Good value bolt on Mods for little money (£1000) and a 60HP Gain!!

However as ever the bug has hit me so im on the next stage of mods now, Just had a TD05/06 fitted with ported & wrapped up pipe, STI Pinks, RCM Pulleys......and so it goes on!! Andy Forrest is mapping in 2 weeks also!! Hoping for 350 HP but we will see!!

Last edited by KK3960; 18 January 2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:45 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Wow KK3960 - I'm amazed you got that much power without the remap. From all the discussions I've read and info I've pulled, I thought the remap was an absolute must! What's your experience with the full decat exhaust? Do you have to 'recat' it at MOT time? (although I guess, like me, your car isn't old enough yet) so when it is old enough, is that what you will do - the recat? I think I will bite the bullet and save a good amount of money and spend it via a remap, second hand exhaust, panel filter. Guess I could get all that for £1100?
Old 18 January 2006, 11:45 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Yes remaps are very important, but to maximise them and HP from your engine you need to have proven quality modifications undertaken too!

Remember the trick is to"Bolt On" First & "Remap" Second otherwise you would be wasting your money! The remap is exactly what it says, its a reconfiguration of your engines ECU to suit your vehicle! The best you will get on a Standard WRX with just a remap alone (to quote subarus Podrive figures) would be around 265Hp if youre lucky! However with a few well chosen mods such as ive mentioned above you can see how much more available power is realeased ! With the similar mods ive done Andy forrest is pushing out around 320 HP from his MY03 WRX after the remap! Check his website out for yourself!
Do a search for Andy Forrest Performance and get your cheque book out!

As for the Decat, Ill cross that bridge when my first MOT is due this year
Old 18 January 2006, 11:50 PM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

I can understand your urgency buddy, Ive been at this for years, i.e buying expensive cars then tuning them, 6 months later its sold and a new project comes in, im on my 3rd scooby now !!

What I would always advise from bitter experiance is to make sure that you have your car checked/mapped after every mod is done, your air fuel ratio etc is very important, last thing you want is your motor detting to bits or running lean !! and popping !

Go for it !!!
Old 18 January 2006, 11:50 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bet Andy's car is using the hybrid TD04 though???????
Old 19 January 2006, 12:19 AM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Yes it is on the Hybrid! The standard TD04 was 305 HP!! Thats Prodrive STI HP i beleive and to quote the master himself from issue 4 "Considering the lighter weight of the WRX this would seriously embarrass the STI 8 of this year!"