Notices

TSL 333 - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON 3 MILES FROM FILLING UP WITH OPTIMAX - HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2005, 05:19 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down TSL 333 - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON 3 MILES FROM FILLING UP WITH OPTIMAX - HELP!!!!

MY04 STI 8 with TSL 333, 15,500 miles on the clock FSSH etc so did not expect this type of caper to happen - that is why I got rid of my old MY98 UK Turbo. The CEL flashed on that car like a Christmas tree,latterly showing up at least 3 fault codes.

Filled my new one up with Optimax this afternoon and 3 miles down the road (easy driving) the CEL came on. I nursed the car home 20ish miles and all is sounding/ driving fine.

Anyway, car is checked into the Subaru garage first thing tomorrow but it has the TSL 333 so the warranty is now null and void.

I know I will have to find out the results of the diagnostic test tomorrow, however the suspense is killing me - could this be a bad batch of fuel? Or does the cold weather affect emmisions or something?

I am pannicking BIG time!!

Any ideas?
Old 29 December 2005, 05:29 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

How long ago did you have the conversion.JASON
Old 29 December 2005, 05:34 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

It was carried out a year ago by the previous owner. I bought the car about 1 month ago.
Old 29 December 2005, 05:37 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Its probably un related to the conversion,I had mine done in october and it hasnt missed a beat.JASON
Old 29 December 2005, 05:47 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

So could it be a dirt batch of fuel or have other STI owners had similair problems if indeed the TSL 333 modification has not caused the problem?
Old 30 December 2005, 05:47 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

Sorted!!! Called TSL this morning before I went down to the Subaru Dealers and described everything to TSL. They suggested that fault code P0420 would be diagnised, suggesting that the recent cold weather (I stay in Scotland and it is f&cking freezin' here) could have triggered the problem. The exhaust gases on the modified car are hotter than the standard car and adjustments are made for this however, they suggested that the perameters for the Lamnda sensor may need to be widened slightly more to compensate for the difference in the colder weather - a 10 minute job for them (albeit a long drive for me to get down to Nottingham!!!)
Went to the Subaru Dealers (S&S Services in Ayr) who also diagnosed this as the problem, quoting the code P0420 suggested by TSL. S&S were well aware of the TSL 333 modifications and suggested that it was something to do with the de-cat, however the car has a sports cat and I explained what TSL said and the mechanic agreed with what TSL had suggested. S&S re-set the ECU and the problem has not come back after about another 75 miles today!!!
When this happened previously to me I was charged 1 hrs labour (less SIDC discount.) Today it was free as it was under warranty (even although the warranty is null and void due to the modifications!!! Woo Hoo!!!)
In conclusion, I will need to monitor the warning light - if it illuminates, then it will be a trip down to TSL - I will take the old cheque book in case I am tempted to modify further!!!! Finally, I am chuffed to bits that my car is still running perfectly, TSL offered a very helpful and friendly service - no 'that is nothing to do with us' and S&S also offered the same service, not specifically blaming the fault on the modifications. Evertyone working as a team and a happy customer - let's hope the previous warning was a rougue one, caused bya spike or something!!!!!!!!! Happy punter!!!
Old 30 December 2005, 06:02 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior