Notices

Recommended - Classic centre de-cat

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2005, 12:32 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Recommended - Classic centre de-cat

Not a debate about power hikes and which cat to remove...

If anyone like me has been contemplating going down the centre de-cat route with their Classic then I can highly recommend it. Even with a H&S back box fitted to my standard UK Turbo (MY00), there was still a little something missing... especially when I passed other Classics and wondered why mine didn't sound quite as good.

After some nosing around here on SN I decided to get a centre de-cat pipe -- another H&S addition. Fully aware that for serious power improvement the down-pipe cat should also go, I was happy to simply remove the centre cat, keep the car MoT friendly, and improve the depth of sound.

SGT fitted my pipe yesterday and has it improved the exhaust note..? Hell yes! The iconic flat-4 burble is much richer than before... louder too but not enough to annoy the neighbours in my opinion. If I nail the throttle the system really growls too... a bit like Eartha Kitt when she's really miffed about something.

I'm totally satisfied with the result... and there's also a noticeable improvement in engine response, although this effect will probably fade after a few days of me getting used to it. Perhaps slightly hesitant before, this isn't the case now and I expect a few more horses have been freed too.

So, if you're after that awesome exhaust tone but want to keep it cabin and neighbour friendly, go for a centre de-cat on your Classic with a conservative back-box and you won't be disappointed.

Jonts.
Old 09 December 2005, 09:26 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
Not a debate about power hikes and which cat to remove...

If anyone like me has been contemplating going down the centre de-cat route with their Classic then I can highly recommend it. Even with a H&S back box fitted to my standard UK Turbo (MY00), there was still a little something missing... especially when I passed other Classics and wondered why mine didn't sound quite as good.

After some nosing around here on SN I decided to get a centre de-cat pipe -- another H&S addition. Fully aware that for serious power improvement the down-pipe cat should also go, I was happy to simply remove the centre cat, keep the car MoT friendly, and improve the depth of sound.

SGT fitted my pipe yesterday and has it improved the exhaust note..? Hell yes! The iconic flat-4 burble is much richer than before... louder too but not enough to annoy the neighbours in my opinion. If I nail the throttle the system really growls too... a bit like Eartha Kitt when she's really miffed about something.

I'm totally satisfied with the result... and there's also a noticeable improvement in engine response, although this effect will probably fade after a few days of me getting used to it. Perhaps slightly hesitant before, this isn't the case now and I expect a few more horses have been freed too.

So, if you're after that awesome exhaust tone but want to keep it cabin and neighbour friendly, go for a centre de-cat on your Classic with a conservative back-box and you won't be disappointed.

Jonts.
This is exactly the response i was hoping for in my thread. I have a new age but i suppose i can expect similar results seeing as i have a scooby sport back box allready which is similar to your H&S one.

Did you have to remap your car after or is it ok to change the centre pipe and not remap as i dont want to spend the money that would require?
Old 09 December 2005, 10:00 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
This is exactly the response i was hoping for in my thread. I have a new age but i suppose i can expect similar results seeing as i have a scooby sport back box allready which is similar to your H&S one.

Did you have to remap your car after or is it ok to change the centre pipe and not remap as i dont want to spend the money that would require?
As I understand it, a remap's only necessary if you want to take advantage of any mods that have been made. As I've only removed the centre cat, a remap isn't necessary because the release in power isn't that great. If I'd also removed the primary cat a remap would be useful, but not essential.

Not sure if a centre de-cat on a new-age would return the exact same result because there are 3 cats... but I'm sure it all helps!

Jonts.
Old 09 December 2005, 10:34 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
As I understand it, a remap's only necessary if you want to take advantage of any mods that have been made. As I've only removed the centre cat, a remap isn't necessary because the release in power isn't that great. If I'd also removed the primary cat a remap would be useful, but not essential.

Not sure if a centre de-cat on a new-age would return the exact same result because there are 3 cats... but I'm sure it all helps!

Jonts.
I have a 96 Turbo 2000, which came with a massive exhaust and a centre de-cat when I bought it. Because it came supplied with these on, I haven't noticed any hikes in power, however it feels as fast as the later models (W,Y reg classics). I believe its because of the centre de-cat and exhaust that the car feels as fast as these later models.

However, a word of warning, if you do go for the de-cat, don't get a large exhaust because at the moment the car is reall really loud. Very throaty which is good, early starts in the morning with the car backed against the house wall - very very loud/embarrasing.
My parents say when I visit they can hear the car before its in the street!

To sum up, if I had to change the exhaust I may go back to the original system, but then again - it does sound ace

Regards
Andy
Old 09 December 2005, 11:04 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

This sounds good! Am i right in thinking that the classic WRX only has one cat?

G.
Old 09 December 2005, 11:14 AM
New_scooby_04

Thanks Jonty,

Thats good to know. I've got the original design H&S backbox and will soon be going down the route of a Decat. I've noted that my car sounds lovely from the outside and good from the inside too, but I've always felt that more of the burble should find its way into the cabin and it seems as if the centre pipe would do this nicely.

Best,

Ns04
Old 09 December 2005, 11:35 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by GrahamG
This sounds good! Am i right in thinking that the classic WRX only has one cat?

G.
Yep, all classic WRX's have 1 cat, in the downpipe.

The classic EU models have the 2nd cat in the centre section.
Old 09 December 2005, 01:00 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
To sum up, if I had to change the exhaust I may go back to the original system, but then again - it does sound ace
Hi Andy. If you re-fit a standard back box then you'd lose most of the burble again because of the baffle work it performs. Ideally all you need is another straight through back box but one which has been designed to be more ear friendly, e.g. the original Hayward and Scott design like I have.

Jonts.
Old 09 December 2005, 02:17 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

I bought my97(Face-lift) turbo 2000 with just a HKS back box. I then fitted a Magnex centre de-cat and i have to say i would never go back. I reckon in 5th at motorway speeds, it pulls alot better. Also the sound is just amazing. Wouldnt worry about the re-map.
Old 09 December 2005, 03:09 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Thanks Jonty,

Thats good to know. I've got the original design H&S backbox and will soon be going down the route of a Decat. I've noted that my car sounds lovely from the outside and good from the inside too, but I've always felt that more of the burble should find its way into the cabin and it seems as if the centre pipe would do this nicely.

Best,

Ns04
Couldnt have said it better myself. Think i will definately be de-catting the centre pipe now. Why should all the pedestrians get to hear more burble than me. Not for long hopefully, now...........Dear Santa.....