Bloody engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 11:18 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloody engine light...

I am getting so damn frustrated by the little orange engine light

I bought this MY03 WRX with PPP in October this year. It had just over 18k on the clock, was serviced in Feb, then was garaged for most of the remainder of the year until I picked it up.

Since getting it home, all was fine for a week or so, then it all started...

One day, the little light came on, stayed on and I took it to the local Scoob garage. The light went off when they looked at it (of course, typical) They reset the ECU and told me it was a sensor fault that they 'had not come across before'.

I drive away and it is fine for a week, then back it comes, the light is on again

I then left the car in for examination mid November as it is still under warranty. I get it back 3 days later. The tech guy explains that they replaced 2 'Tumble Motors'.

When I asked, I was told they were little sensors near the manifold. Fine, I don't really care as long as the fault is fixed.

All has been fine since then until this morning. The bugger came back on again It is now off again, as it did before.

WTF????

Does anyone have any other ideas as to possible causes for this light? Is the light simply to indicate a emmissions fault??

Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts. At this rate I will never be away from the flaming garage!
Old 08 December 2005, 11:29 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you'll need to put the fault codes up so we know exactly what the problem is
Old 08 December 2005, 11:34 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
you'll need to put the fault codes up so we know exactly what the problem is
Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I have no way of getting the code myself.

I will try to ring the delaer tomorrow and see if he will tell me what the code was. Otherwise I will take it back and get them to tell me the fault code.

Thanks for the advice, this really is frustrating, and to make matters worse, it's my first Scooby However, I am not put off by this just yet as I find it a great car.
Old 09 December 2005, 01:22 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new CEL light not have anything to do with the last time it flashed up so i'd get it checked from the dealer or someone who has access via Ecutek near you.
The old code looks like some fault with the TGV motors.

nick
Old 09 December 2005, 03:21 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Okay, bit of an update, I contacted the main dealer, he can't even look at the car until the 19th!!!

So I tried a small local Subaru dealer - get this - he wants £40 + VAT just to put it on the computer!! I told him it was under Subaru warranty until Jan but he insisted the charge would stand!! What a cheek! I have a right mind to contact Subaru about him.

So, until the 19th I will have to cross fingers that all is fine, unless anyone has any ideas on a cheaper way to read the fault code???
Old 09 December 2005, 03:43 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like good service - which dealer is that? It is only a ten minute job.

From Subaru handbook -

CAUTION
If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on while you are driving, have your vehicle checked/repaired by your Subaru dealer as soon as possible.
Continued vehilce operation without having the emission control checked and repaired as necessary could cause serious damage, which may not be covered by your vehicles warranty...

... You should have your vehicle checked by an authorised Subaru dealer immediately.....

Assuming your car is still under warranty, phone Subaru Assist on 0800 777127 and tell them that you think the car has a fault and has a CEL light on and you don't want to wait for 3 weeks in case the car gets damaged.
This should get you sorted out a bit quicker.

Nick
Old 09 December 2005, 04:16 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice.

I phoned Subaru Assistance as you suggested. They stated that the light may be nothing much to worry about as it has gone off. If it had stayed on it would need urgent attention.

They assured me that, providing there are no other symptoms (loss of boost, juddering etc) then the car is fine to drive, even if the light is on amber. The only thing they said was that if the light was on, not to be driving for miles on end.

So, they advised me to take it for a drive later, then again in the morning and see if the light comes on again, and if it does, then contact them and they will have it sorted out for me asap.

Glad I called them, they were really helpful. Thanks for the tip