Notices

Fitting Spark Plugs - is it a bugger

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2005, 06:40 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Spark Plugs - is it a bugger

Not something i had planned on doing for a while as new ones only put in last year by previous owner via a service.

More boost tho calls for a set of colder plugs, i have just had a look and i'm not overly excited about performing this operation, to say the least it doesn’t look easy.

To be honest it wont be me that’s doing it - will be calling upon the help of a friend but just wanted to know if this is going to be the bitch of a job that it looks. any set by step guide floating about?

Any advice welcomed

Will
Old 06 December 2005, 09:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put simply - The thinking about it is worse than actually doing it!
Removal of the washer bottle gives full access to the plugs on one side (syphon out the fluid first if possible) Two bolts, pump connector, hose. The other side requires the removal of the air filter box - Two bolts (socket on an extension if poss.) undo jubilee clip, disconnect MAF connector, unclip various pipes and throttle cable, pull box air inlet away from sideskirt then remove assembly. It all becomes obvious as you proceed. You may need to juggle with extension pieces on the plug socket to get the right length. You never said which model it is, so you may have individual coils on each plug or just plug caps.
Make sure your mate has a good socket set with a selection of extensions. It's not a bad job, just a bit more involved than the average engine!
JohnD
Old 06 December 2005, 09:44 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate, i've had the air box off before and that only took 2 mins, so its sounding better than i thought. yeah its a 1995 uk car so i think its coil packs thats on it.

Will
Old 07 December 2005, 09:33 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

You don't need to disconnect the washer bottle (or even empty it unless it's brim full) just undo two bolts and lift it back over the suspension turret (may need tying up). This save a lot of messing about. You may need to disconnect the pump power lead if you haven'tgot enought slack with it, still makes job a lot easier.

The only other thing is having the right length ext. bar for the socket, ~ 75-100mm IIRC. Remeber the bolts on the coil packs do not come out completely as they have a captive collar, just undo until they wiggle a bit they the coil rubber should just pop out.

I was told this was one of the worst jobs to do on a scoob but in reality I found it quite easy and straight forward.

PS get torque right on new plugs.
Old 07 December 2005, 09:50 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to be jonest, you should look at 30 mins max and thats not rushing. Jasonius makes a good point though about the coil packs, I just kept undoing it but wasnt getting anywhere because they have the captive collar.
Was dreading doing it after reading about it on here, but it was a piece of pi$$
Old 07 December 2005, 05:10 PM
sti 360
Scooby Regular

just put part of a rubber glove in between the socket and bar
Old 07 December 2005, 05:41 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks,

does anyone have the torque setting for the plugs?

Will
Old 07 December 2005, 06:50 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, did this recently.

Removing the battery in addition to moving the water bottle makes it easier too.
Use 3/8" socket.
Best if you have a nice magnetic plug socket rather than the old rubber collar version as it's a pain if you pull your extension bar out and find the plug socket is still attached to the plug!
Have a big selection of of extension bars handy. I bought one for the occasion, but then found I could only change the drivers side plugs and had a to wait a few days before I could borrow some different tools to change the other two.
A "flexi" extension bar makes it easier. Don't know how to describe it, but permits some flexibility where it connects with the spark plug socket.
No way I could have got a torque wrench on it, so did it by feel.
Old 07 December 2005, 07:23 PM
sti 360
Scooby Regular

thats where the rubber glove comes in ,

dont use the rubber plug gripper,the socket will stay on the bar with the glove tech
Old 07 December 2005, 08:25 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I would not expect to do it in 30 mins! I have done it many times and on average I would say an hour was more realistic for the complete job, but maybe I am slow.

Very good tip about the rubber plug holder in the spark plug wrench, I just pulled mine out of the wrench and used it without.

Coil packs can be a bit awkward to line up and get back in, its important to get there position right then they will slip in nicely.
Old 07 December 2005, 09:28 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How different is this procedure on a new age?