Notices

Road cages

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 10:50 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road cages

Why is it that GT3's, TVR's and even Triumph Stags can have a roll cage fitted for every day use but if you mention fitting a half cage to a Subaru everyone tells you that you'll need to drive to Tesco in a helmet?

I'd like to fit one to my type r but with all the fuss I don't know if it'd be worth the bother.

Anyone got one that they'd recommend?
Old 02 December 2005, 11:50 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Playsatan
Why is it that GT3's, TVR's and even Triumph Stags can have a roll cage fitted for every day use but if you mention fitting a half cage to a Subaru everyone tells you that you'll need to drive to Tesco in a helmet?

I'd like to fit one to my type r but with all the fuss I don't know if it'd be worth the bother.

Anyone got one that they'd recommend?
There's a difference between a car which has a factory fitted cage and a car which has a cage fitted later. If it's a factory fitted cage then they must have done some testing and engineering analysis to make sure that it does not compromise safety. If they didn't do that, they would leave themselves wide open to lawsuits which might cost them millions.

If you make changes which might compromise safety (such as introducing steel bars closer to your head) then you need to consider all the safety aspects. What's the point of the car standing up to a smash better if you headbutt a roll cage and give yourself brain damage?

You mention installing a half cage, so presumable this means that the cage will be situated behind the front seats. This would be less dangerous to your head (maybe). It will help some if you roll it, but not as much as a full cage would. Also a half cage helps none if you have a front smash.

So really a half cage is cosmetic more than any real benefit. If you make sure you use FIA standard foam padding on any parts of the half cage which might come close to your head (and you would be very surprised how much deflection there is of both seats and the human body in case of impact) then at least you are mitigating some of the risk.

As for what the owners of other cars do, don't blindly copy them because they may be idiots and have put their own safety in jeopardy without thinking about it.
Old 02 December 2005, 03:58 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good words from 'Brit'.
I have a 911 with a cage (6 point) and an Sti V3 with a 6 point cage.
I hill climb both seriously at National level.
I also drive both on the road (they are fully road legal)

Everything said is true.
BUT
The trick is to add real roll cage padding where needed, everywhere in the driver and passenger areas.
The scrutineers will not allow you to race unless the padding is in place and appropriate.
Real cage padding is expensive, and it is designed for the job and not bling on the road.
I personally do not see the point to having a cage (4 point or 6) for a strictly road going car.
Note the absence of sunvisors, and the dark windscrean strip to substitute (a compromise!)

Graham.
Old 03 December 2005, 09:43 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, well thought out and much appreciated.

First off, I'm not fitting it for cosmetic reasons. Its a weekend car that get used on the track but also used for b road action so whatever I do it'll have to be some sort of compromise.

What got me thinking about one was most of the track days I attend I normaly see at least one car shiney side down. As I mentioned in my original post some cars have factory fitted half cages (gt3 etc) and while I agree thats not much cop in a front end shunt its got to be a bonus if you flip it. That coupled with the fact that none of the metal work runs next to your head made me think that it would reduce the risk of injury in the event of a non-track accident (with no helmet).
Old 03 December 2005, 02:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Track days?
Fit a 6 point from Safety Devices
Graham.
Old 03 December 2005, 03:53 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

isnt the safty devises one removable?
Old 03 December 2005, 05:48 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Mines removable but never bothered taking it out

Should really have an FIA approved seat and don't bother with rear any more, took them out.
Old 04 December 2005, 11:08 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Mark A, I really hope you take this in the way it's intended, but as it currently stands I would say that half cage poses a danger to you and your paassenger heads in case of an accident.

As a minimum you need to get hold of some proper FIA roll cage padding and tie wrap it onto the cage.
Old 04 December 2005, 12:44 PM
Scooby Regular

My SD cage is totally different to Marks!
At one hill climb meeting the scrtineers made me CUT OFF two pieces of the FIA cage to make it safe.
Mine has a fully welded cross brace to the rear making the car essentially a 3 seater.
Have removed the rear seat to carry spare wheels etc .
Graham.